• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What line for Ice fishing??

Ears

I have normally used Spyder line, but when it gets soaked with water, it freezes. I like the non stretch for sensitivity, but what else is out there? Usually fish on Red or LOTW, so something for walleyes and the occasional bigger fish.

I like berkley ice line but if you want a superline then I have had some good luck ice fishing with fireline, it wont soak up water but can freeze if its cold. Fireline crystal is some sweeeet line that I will be trying on the hard water this year

Good Luck

I put the Cajun RedLine on 6 of my rods (summer and winter). All it did was curl off the spoon. I can't stand the stuff. That was 2 years ago. Maybe they changed its composition, but I have heard of several others who have had the same issue.

I put the Cajun RedLine on 6 of my rods (summer and winter). All it did was curl off the spoon. I can't stand the stuff. That was 2 years ago. Maybe they changed its composition, but I have heard of several others who have had the same issue.

I had the same thing happen when I tried it.

I tried the P-line last winter and that seemed pretty good also put some Gamma on one reel this summer and have been happy with that.

Originally Posted By: broman

I had the same thing happen when I tried it.

I tried the P-line last winter and that seemed pretty good also put some Gamma on one reel this summer and have been happy with that.

I put Cajun Red Ice on one of my fishing reels, and it was terrible for curling off the spool. I had even put it on one of the Genz gold reels with the larger spool.(that is supose to help with curling off the spool)

I also tried the Berkley® FireLine Crystal™ Micro Ice, but didn't like it. I had problems with the line staying tied onto the jig, and the line spinning on the spool. Tried backing the spool with tape and it worked to keep the line from spinning around on the spool, but still had problems with the knot staying tied on my jigs.

I have yet to have an issue with my Cajun Red. Weird. I bought a Jig A Whopper combo, St Croix combo, and a Gander Mntn combo and had all the stores put the line on, have yet to have any issues with it. I have Berkeley line on my Shakespeare Ugly Stik, looks like black thread- that stuff is TOUGH. I doubt I will ever have to worry about a fish busting it.

I use the fireline crystal micro ice, love the stuff, you can really feel the bite. To avoid the line from spinning on the spool, with any fireline, you can put about 10-20 feet of mono on first with the fireline tied to the mono, the mono will stop it from slipping on your spool, just make sure you have enough line on that you dont ever reach your mono when fighting a fish.

Use a palomar knot for PE lines like Crystal. A regular knot like that used on regular fishing line will most likely fail.

I'm lazy so I tie a Spro swivel with the #6 hyper lock clip and and I change lures quickly that way for chubby darters, forage minnow spoons, buckshot spoons, etc.,...

I usually tie direct onto a jig, but there have been times when the fish only wanted a jig dancing from a snap clip. Might be the particular action of it that differs from a direct tie. I used the quick clips before but my lost ratio on hook ups was terrible. Might be that little piece of wire poking out thats preventing my hook ups.