• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowhunting in the corn

Joe15

there is snow on the ground where i live and it delayed teh harvest of a large portion of a field about a half mile from my house...i went down there tonight to see if the deer were hitting it up very well...sure enough they were.

There were trails going in and out of everyother row...i was about 20 yards farther down than the most used trail...soon i started to see deer comming out on the other end an slowly snuck up on them until i was about 100 yards from them...i did some grunting and got a doe to come over she was about 15 yards but wouldnt look away from me. finally she just snorted and walked away. There was a nice buck among the group too. i just couldnt seem to get a good shoot angle in the corn...any tips???

It's going to be harder for you if the corn is starting to fall. And it's also going to be harder to sneak on them if the deer are in a group. If you try a stalk (no pun intended), try glassing from a distance and then counting the number of corn rows to your targeted deer. Then sneak down the row directly next to the deer. If you get too many rows of corn in between you and the deer, the deer will see you if they are lying down. You can actually get closer to them if you are in the row directly next to them because the row of stalks will block their vision of you. If the wind isn't in your favor for a stalk hunt, then your other option may be to try to find an ambush spot with cover that's downwind from the corn. Then either wait for them, or try calling/rattling if they are responsive.