Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dukhnt

Canvasback mount

13 posts in this topic

Last year while hunting with my dad and brother we had a couple of drake cans pass by. My dad got the first shot off and sent one sailing and my brother teamed up on the 2nd one. I volunteered to go look for my dad's. We were hunting a lake and there was a big slough behind us. I go back by the slough and there was his can out in the middle laying dead with the wind not moving it. This slough was very muddy and I knew only one way to get it. With my waders I started out in the slough, sinking with every step. I knew if I stopped I would be stuck. I got the duck and made it back. Had to sit by the slough for awhile to catch my breath. Brought it back to dad and his eyes lit up. He has been hunting waterfowl for 40+ years and has never shot a drake canvasback. My dad has never gotten anything mounted. Long story short, my brother and I talked him into mounting this one. He got it done at Flyway Taxidermy by St. Cloud, and Jerry did one awesome job on this duck. It has to be one of the nicest mounts I have seen. The picture doesn't do it justice. I would highly recommend Flyway Taxidermy if you guys ever want a duck mounted.

DSC_02201.jpg

Very cool Buddy. Tell your old man that I approve. And tell your mom that would look great in the kitchen I think! That way everyone will see it when you walk in the door.

Love the mount! Awesome!

I've got a Drake Buffy that I'm going to do something similar with, plopped down on a rock but I'm not sure if I'm going to have the foot sticking out like that.

I guessed that was Jerry's work before I even read your story. He does the best work I've seen.

I am still planning on bringing my canvasback from 2 seasons into him, just gotta find some spare cash to foot the bill.

Dukhnt,

First of all, congratulations to your father for bagging a beautiful canvasback. I shot one last weekend

Is there any way you could take a couple more pictures of that mount sometime from different angles, or if you already have then that's great. The thing is, that I have never seen a pose as perfect as that one, and I was thinking about getting it re-created with mine.

If you could that'd be great, I'd really appreciate it!!

Thanks

Rusty Jones

I won't be out to my parents for another week. I will try to get some photos of it then. Congrats on your can, they are beautiful ducks.

I don't mind waiting, whenever you get them just let me know and I will have you e-mail them to me if that suits. Thanks a lot!!!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• little early fer that fish aint it!!!!!! I wanna see pictures of you camping come tomorrow morning when da blizzard comes thru!!!!!!!!!!!! nice pictures though!!!!!!!!!!!
    • whitefish maybe? 
    • If I understand correctly this only for bows. I have a crossbow and from what I understand it is considered a firearm. Is that the case? My son has a bow and has the archery tag.
    • so ... dillon has a bird to enter and 1957 is still hunting? looks like we are in good shape, but lot of guys still hunting in MN and WI, i assume   ended my season friday. got the blind set up before the shower started. it quit right before sunrise time and there was lots of gobbling on the roost a couple hundred yards away but none where i heard them close by when scouting a couple days earlier. a few distant gobbles on the ground, then nothing after the rain and wind picked up again. finally saw a hen step out of the woods about 830 and start heading toward me. soft yelps kept her coming, then out steps a big tom and several more hens heading my way but when they got to an opening in the fence from the stalk field into another timber, the tom paused, i had the bead on him, decided it was too far, and then they were gone the rain quit a half hour later and i ramped up the calling with some louder yelps and cutts. a few minutes later a head comes over a rise in the field and its a solo tom. he ignored the dekes and headed toward the fence gap where the others went, stopped and fanned without gobbling, but some soft yelps, clucks and purrs kept him coming my way. dropped him at 40 yards after stepping it off to where he lay, i kept going to where the other tom left the field and it was 55 big steps, so glad i didnt shoot went 23, 10, 1 but the rain cut loose again on the way back to the truck so i didnt take pictures  
    • If you were anywhere close to southern Minny I would invite you over and let you drive mine and show you the things I look for both in the jeep and plow since mine seems pretty close to what you are looking for. If you have any questions PM me.
    • Good luck PFUNK! Looking like that will be my next day out too. forecast looks good as well!
    • I think the TJ might be the best choice with the 4.0 which is what I did.I bought the plow used after the fact. I got the plow for 1200 but the wiring was not good nor was the mount so I had a new custom, heavier duty mount made at a fab shop and I bought a brand new wiring kit from Western. I also bought all stainless bolts for it so there are no rust issues with them. Wiring the plow was a task. I basically had to remove the entire interior including console, seats and many dash parts to run the wiring.   One thing to consider- There is really very little room for much of anything in them. Running new wires, adding a speaker anywhere or even having 2 guys, 2 guns, a dog and a cooler is a tight fit. The back seat works for kids but not adults and mostly I take my back seat out so I have at least some room to put stuff. Running the wiring to run the plow took probably 8 hours or more spread over a few days and for a bigger guy it's pretty much impossible to reach under the dash and run wires,connect to fuse blocks even with the seat removed.    But the ability to take off the top and cruise the gravel roads with no doors while hunting is not possible in basically any other vehicle except maybe a Manx Dune buggy which has also been on my bucket list and those aren't 4x4. 
    • Anyfish is correct,I will add you can buy a archery tag and hunt the entire rest of the season in any turkey zone. 
  • Our Sponsors