Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Foss

An eagle launches (more pics added)

39 posts in this topic

Ken, being the good buddy that he is, showed me where the bold eagles he photographed yesterday were. We headed there over the noon hour and found one fourth-year bird to model for us.

Canon 30D, Canon 300 f2.8L IS, iso1600, 1/800 at f5, handheld

3025255963_658bfedcca_o.jpg

3025256811_81a1306e60_o.jpg

3025272671_bfd8a116a2_o.jpg

That Ken is one heck of a friend grin Those are some very sharp shots and I really enjoy how close to take off and the launch. Great sequence of shots.

Thanks, Jim. Ken is indeed a generous friend. I prepped these on a CRT monitor, so they may look oversharp on some LCDs.

I am viewing them on a LCD and they almost have a 3D look. Looks perfect to me.

They sure look good, Steve! I headed over there after school, and they were gone. Not even a raven there anymore. Good thing we went when we did!

Those are great actions shots - even the white head feathers are crystal clear.

Just curious - I believe I understand that you have identified this bird as a four year old if so how did you determine that.

Thanks, guys. HH, the head's not quite solid white (slight color left in line extending back from eye), and there's a reddish/brown wash of color toward the bottom of the tail. After its next molt it'll sport full adult plumage.

Thanks, all. It was a fun time. grin

For some reason the 2nd looks less saturated than the other 2. Is it a different bird?

This was a series of three shots in succession from the same burst. If there are differences in saturation, it's from mistakes I made in pp.

Very nice shots Steve, you are really going to owe Ken! Is Canon making a 3.8 lense? wink

Very good eagle shots Steve, I also like #3 the best.

Thanks

Dan

Certainly not quite like Steve's excellent shots, but a couple I got today as well:

E2-1.jpg

E2-2.jpg

As I look at these, I've got a bit of color in the whites. Steve, where did this come from?

Is Canon making a 3.8 lens? wink

Ooops. Edit made. grin

Nice shots, Ken. Too bad they were gone when you returned. Must've picked the ribcages clean and gone on to other things. smile

It sure got dark in a hurry yesterday afternoon. frown

Finnbay, I like your shots also.

I like how the details in the chest and head feathers show up in the first the best.

Thanks

Dan

Nice shots. Eagles are such cool subjects. How close did it let you get??

Sounds about right Steve. Those shots of mine are almost full frame at 400mm. Cropped a bit of sky out, but none of the eagle.