• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Welch Buck

mrklean

Quote:
This is a deer they've been watching for some time now

Joel - I don't think this was a deer they had seen before. A "cruiser" so-to-speak... I'd like to see the one they've got nicknamed "big boy though...

Speaking of the bluffs... how has your deer season been? I know you shot a dandy last year down there.

Hope he got some breeding accomplished, but it's more about them not shooting young bucks, that gives you the best chance at a big one because a dead young buck is done growing, these young bucks will remember being on your property and withstanding cars,guns,illness, can and will return when you least expect it, they are familiar with your property. Gets a little sketchier when you are hunting huge forest land,up north, south of Park Rapids etc. you get a lot of home body type of deer all the way to Iowa, the deer need to get old, when I see food plot commercials etc. Our state is about as fertile for deer as it gets with farming reaching into what used to be heavily forested areas, it's about age in Minnesota or on any foodplot, if the deer is older it will have a better rack with rare exceptions, the deer need age to produce the antlers we all wish to get our hands on. I think it's out of the DNR's hands, it isn't them pulling the trigger on yearling bucks, Minnesota needs it's bow,rifle,muzzleloader hunters to catch and release these young bucks or at least let just the young hunters take what they wish. I far to often hear well if I don't shoot it, the neighbors will, if that's your area well don't plan on getting very many nice bucks. I feel well at least that young buck has a chance because if I shoot him he's done. Anyway, just opinions, and it sure is nice to see a 23 year old woman who has the will power to just hunt trophy bucks or does. Her crew has it right and I guarantee they will take many more mature bucks in the future because they have the recipe !

Quote:
She took off all her Orange becuase it was too Bloddy?

I guess the blood shot all the way up to her CAP?

RLMAO...If you belive that I have a Bridge to sell you in AZ.

Sometimes you have to follow the money...

From the newspaper article:

Her husband, Rich, works for the local company Robinson Outdoors, which makes deer-hunting clothing and hunting products that reduce human scent. Gustafson said there are already plans to use her picture and the buck in the company's catalog next year.

That looks like a shiny new Scent Blocker suit and hat to me...

Quote:

Her husband, Rich, works for the local company Robinson Outdoors, which makes deer-hunting clothing and hunting products that reduce human scent. Gustafson said there are already plans to use her picture and the buck in the company's catalog next year.

Thank you for getting my point. Robinson outdoors in Cannon Falls sells mostly to archery hunters and I'm sure the picture in the catalog will show her with a bow.

Quote:
This is a deer they've been watching for some time now

Joel - I don't think this was a deer they had seen before. A "cruiser" so-to-speak... I'd like to see the one they've got nicknamed "big boy though...

Speaking of the bluffs... how has your deer season been? I know you shot a dandy last year down there.

Stick:

Yah, I read the article......but local word is that they'd seen it at least a good handful of times and were actively hunting it. Could be rumor as I haven't heard it from one of them yet.

My season's been going well. Taken a doe with a bow and two while party hunting during shotgun season. Had two different bucks in the 140" range that were "almosts." Not that you can tag an "almost" but it feels good to be in the ballpark. Passed on a few phenomenal 2.5 yr. olds. If they make it, will be a great season next year just hunting them. Might run out of good weather and time for this gun season. Muzzleloader is just around the corner, but so is the end of my available time. smile

Congrats on your deer this year!

Joel

Originally Posted By: Ebiz
Quote:

Thank you for getting my point. Robinson outdoors in Cannon Falls sells mostly to archery hunters and I'm sure the picture in the catalog will show her with a bow.

She got within 40 yards of a monster and took it with a muzzleloader no less. Guarantee you she was wearing a Scent Blocker suit. She obviously played the wind correctly and controlled her scent. Guess I don't see what's wrong with that.

Joel

Quote:
She got within 40 yards of a monster and took it with a muzzleloader no less. Guarantee you she was wearing a Scent Blocker suit. She obviously played the wind correctly and controlled her scent. Guess I don't see what's wrong with that.

Yeah?? Point is that she did not kill it with a bow and arrow and that would be false advertising that she poses by the deer with a bow when she really shot it with a firearm. But who knows if she is going to do that anyway.

You know, its not like shes the only one who shot a big buck under 40 yds with scent block clothing. cool