• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hub type pop up portable house?

Finlander

I have one and it works fine. I've used mine with my two boys and there is plenty of room and it has flaps on the outside to bank snow.

It also has t-screws I can anchor in the corners or draw strings on each side on the outside.

I got this for my boys as a Christmas gift last year and we went out about 1/2 dozen times in some strong winds and had not issue with it at all.

I have owned and fished in just about every kind of portable out there and the Hub type is by far the best. Very light weight, easy to set up and the 4 person is plenty big for two and lots of gear. Extreme high winds can be a problem, but I don't know any canvas portable where that is not an issue. I think you can see the current popularity now that Clam has come out with a couple of models. No floor can be a problem, but that is the case with flip overs.

In my flipover, I just slide my seat back and keep my feet in the sled. I adjust where I drill my holes to accomadate that as well. Seems to work just fine for me. But I am sure not all flip overs have the ability to slide the seat back.

I bought an Eskimo last year and it works fine. Only drawback is that it's a lot of work if I want to move around a lot. So I don't move much.

Are you kidding me! With the two man, just pick up gear, stand up and the shelter is on your legs. Look through the window and walk! Get to new spot, set everything down.

LOL's

Of course it won't work like that, but could you imaging an ice shelter that was thirty feet away, and moment by moment it's sneaking up on you and before you know it, it's three feet away from you. Too funny.

I would have to say the new Clam pop-up's..the Hub ase Camp (Set Up Size: 72" x 72" x 78") and the CLAM Command Post (Huge Set Up Size: 144" x 72" x 78") is well built, and easy to set, break down, and pack up.

I have set the Eskimo's and a few other makes..the new Clams appear to me to set-up the smoothest, and stay tight as a drum.

Large storage bags on the new clam Hubs is a nice upgrade over the rinkydink Eskimo storage bag...that is a pain to get anything into it. Most guys toss them Eskimo bags and replace them with Decoy bags or large duffel bags...far easier to use.

The Clam Hub Basecamp & the CLAM Command Post have carry case's that are large and well made and comes with all theice stakes an ropes needed to secure it in wind.

a couple of ice anchors and your set, bank some snow to keep any wind out and if theres no snow I picked up some of soderblooms snaktors to use instead. My buddy has a clam flipover and the fabric doesnt even come all the way to the ice surface so theres always a wind problem with his and I can state with confidence that he paid alot more than I did. I have also used it for a shelter during deer hunting trips. I got a heater, cot and a table in there, like to see you do that with a flipover.

These should add for some good entertainment on the ice this year, with guys trying to chase down their shack as it get blown down the lake.

I like the price tag and the weight, but moving around would be a pain on windy days just for the fact you would have to ancor it down every time you move. The days where it's not windy and you don't have to ancor it down it would be good.

These should add for some good entertainment on the ice this year, with guys trying to chase down their shack as it get blown down the lake.

I have seen plenty of them flipovers and clams blow across a lake also.

CLAM????????????? VERY VERY VERY SPENDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you guys should be looking at quality of the item you buy you can buy the same thing at a lower $ with out paying out the a** for the name of the item!!!Look it all over and look at all of the items then make up your mind. If you take care of your stuff then it should last a life time!!!!!!!! Some times the most dollars does not mean the best or better some times less is better!!!???? Or really good . bought a team wild 2 man flip over for 350.00 at fleet farm, look at all this one stood out because of workman ship and price. plus you can stand up in it . You get what you pay for !!!!!!!

Keith, are you talking about hub style portables or portables in general? The team wild flip styles is a completely different type of portable (great value from what I have seen). But the hub style is for a specific niche and I think the three main competitors for this type are Clam, Eskimo, and Shappell - I think they are priced in the same ballpark.

Personally, I am interested in the 6 man hubs (outpost/quickfish6) for when I go out with 4+ people. It is compact, light, roomy, and cheap for the size. The next comparible sled/flipover or cabin style are disigned for 4 max and you need a big truck or trailer to haul around. The hubs fit in the trunk. When fishing solo or with 2-3 of us the FT Pro and Lodge get the nod.

I've been looking into getting something a little easier to move around before I start driving the car out on the lake (I currently have an old suitcase style fish house that is quite heavy!) I had seen this style house online before but never really thought it would hold up quite as well as the flip over style, but from reading this thread it looks like this might be exactly what I need for a much more reasonable price!

Too bad you weren't in the market for these last spring. I was blown away at the sale prices on these things (eskimos) last spring. Every once in a while you'll see them for sale cheap on the classified sites.

If you are looking for something light, good size and compact travel size - these type of portables seem to be the ticket. You won't find a flipover or cabin that is 6x6ft and can stand in for around $200 and only weighs around 25lbs. Obviously, not the best option for everyone, but definitly addresses an important niche for Ice fishing shacks. I love my otter lodge, but at 110lbs+ and over 6'x3' colapsed - it can be a pain to haul around, especially if I am by myself.