• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insurance

Chode2235

I recently picked up a used Polaris Sportsman. Do I need to insure the thing? I am not worried about replacement if I damage it, but rather liability if I damage something or someone gets injured.

Not that I intend on that happening, but am curious as to what you all do.

My dad and I will be the only ones operating the ATV.

Thanks.

I would recommend putting full coverage on it. ATV's are a hot commodity for thieves and in the event it gets stolen, you're covered.

Full coverage isn't that expensive. I went through Foremost in the past and full coverage on a high performance 650cc machine only cost $125/year.

For myself, I could easily find a couple things that I could eliminate that would save me the $10 a month to pay for ATV insurance.

MN does not require liability on an atv like it does on a car. But, because it is a licensed recreational vehicle, your standard homeowners policy would not cover you if you have a liability exposure with your atv. In other words, get liability coverage. You can get coverage through your homeowners policy or through another company with a separate policy which I think is the way to go. For ATV's full coverage is basically not much more to add than liability. Progressive is my best company for atv's, averaging $75-$125 per year (depending on value and CC's) for full coverage including liability.

ccarlson

Quote:
I recently picked up a used Polaris Sportsman. Do I need to insure the thing?

That, my friend, is a question only you can answer.

Is it required by law? No. Are you concerned about covering the loss of your vehicle due to an accident or theft? Apparently not. Then you have to ask yourself, "Am I willing to take the risk of a liability claim if something happens and if so, how much protection do I need to feel comfortable?"

Bob

I have American Family and pay $170 a year for a 06 Pol 800 EFI. American Family is top notch insurance. They insure everything.

Progressive once gave a quote for one of my work trucks for 4 times what I pay per year.

Had a 02 Pol 700 insured with State Farm (another great insurance company) and gave me $1,000 over value when it got stolen.

Yeah having worked for an insurance company, and sitting down the hall from the folks who collect I know that I want to avoid a phone call from them my entire life.

"Blood from a turnip" they would say.

Even if someone gets injured and they have health insurance, their health insurance company will sue you to pay for their medical bills.

It may not be required by law, but geeze, its a big risk not to take.

We found full coverage for a little more than the liability only and are taking care of that.

Thanks everyone.