• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mineral for deer

Hey guys,

So i was wondering do you all buy a mineral block if so whats a good kind or do you make your own mineral lick? I was wondering if you make a lick how do you go about making it? how often do you freshin it up? I heard some people dig a trench in the ground and pour it in there and leave it and some people fill it back up with dirt so it soaks in better. ANY tips would be appreciated and if you want tell what you use for mixing it up. I was thinking Di-cal and phos. but not sure what else or at what ratio.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.

Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.

Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.

Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

my avitar pretty much shows one location. There's a hole in the ground from the years of replenishing and then I pour it on the cut elder brush you see in the pic. I find it absorbes nicely for them to chew on.

Put it out spring, and replenish a time or two over the summer.

I dump about 25 lbs of mix at a time. 4 stations total on the land.

I dont really have any pics, but I do have trail cams set up pointed at 2 of them. Its a GREAT way to get pics of deer at mineral stations.

You get multiple angles of antlers to get a good idea of what they look like. Rather than just single pics on trails.

I do also toss a trace mineral block on all the stations for a slow seepage into the soil over time. A 50lb block will last all year basically.

i always use trace mineral salt blocks and beef cow mineral called Hi-Phos 8. You can buy it at your local grain store or elevator for about 20$ a 50# bag. Ive compared it to all of the big name, high end deer minerals and it blows then all out of the water. It doesnt have salt, or barely any, good percentage of calcium and phosphate and some of the other essentials such as selenuim many others. and the deer LOVE IT! Ive gone through about 100#s now in 3 stations since august 19th.

mineral licks do grow bigger racks. you just have to have the right kinds of minerals. the same things that make our bones stronger make a bucks antlers bigger. the 4 to remember are calcium, phosphorous, iron and zinc.

you're better off getting this stuff from a co-op rather than cabelas. prices won't be jacked and it won't contain junk, or inert matter. little spendier though.

try using lucky buck mineral. i have for a year, and have trail cam pics of many bucks using it throughout spring and summer, with very noticeable growth. they claim bigger racks or your money back, and bigger racks they grew, including my 16 pt grossing over 185" so i'm sold!

as far as salt licks go, i have noticed deer prefer the salt brine, white blocks over the red salt blocks. remember, salt is only an attractant, like a cheeseburger to us. tastes good, but doesn't make you grow stronger!!

Respectfully disagreeing with ya on this one Vister.

In reading a lot of info on the QDMA forums, the experts there say that supplemental minerals we try to feed deer, do not necessarily improve antler growth.

I would venture to guess we might have some impact on antler growth, but based on what I have read, if we help at all, its minimal. You are not going to help a buck add 20 inches of mass by giving them minerals.

One excerpt:

There is not a single study that indicates supplemental minerals increase antler growth. Deer typically get their minerals from the food they eat. There is some question as to whether or not a deer's system is even able to absorb minerals not ingested in plant form.

Now, there is going to be plenty of anecdotal evidence. The guy who says, "since I started putting out minerals the racks are bigger". It's hard to convince them that changes in antler size could be because of something other than the minerals.

Another one from QDMA(boy is this over my head):

"Mineral must be absorbed at the cellular level in order to get to the horns and tissue of the body.

To be useable a mineral must be small enough to enter an individual cell. Single, water-soluble, angstrom size mineral are 100% bio-available. The body does not have to break down water-soluble, angstrom size, single minerals because they are elemental and have nothing else attached to them except the water molecule. Water-soluble, angstrom size, single mineral because they are elemental and have nothing else attached to them except the water molecule. Water-soluble, angstrom size, single minerals are immediately available at the cellular level. Mineral size is a critical factor!" Dr. Jimmy Steger.

Just some info on minerals I learned from a nutritionalist that has done research on deer in texas as well as race horses in kentucky. He says this goes for humans as well. He says this is the problem with supplemental feeding of deer as well, that many of the ingredients are too large for absorption into the cells.

I think minerals can help but it is probably minimal.

I look at it this way. The size of a buck's rack will shrink if he has a tough winter, is injured etc etc. I figure if I can give him a little bit of supplement he (or the does) will probably be in better shape going into winter and thus may make it through the winter in a little better condition.

Plus it is nice to mount my trail cams over the mineral licks.