Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wade Joseph

Veterans Day off? (to avoid hijack of other thread)

38 posts in this topic

Just wondering how many of you who are not vets had the day off? How many who are veterans had to work?

Me...Vet/worked.

Gonna start hounding my representatives to push to include ALL vets getting the day off on Veterans day.

Not a VET and worked. I'm with you though Wade, if you are a vet, that's your day and should get a paid day off.

Not a Vet, worked, and I am totally with Sand on this one. Give the Vets their day at home with pay to be with their families, small token gesture for a huge sacrifice.

Semper Fi

Windy

I think unless you work for the Government, or a bank, you worked yesterday.

Me, Not a vet and worked.

I was working yesteday and not a vet. But I woudln't mind if Vets gets the day off.

I am a Vet and asked myself that same question, as a State worker friend said. I am taking the day off for you Gary.

Thanks a lot.

I am a vet and worked.

G.C.

Just wondering how many of you who are not vets had the day off? How many who are veterans had to work?

Me...Vet/worked.

Gonna start hounding my representatives to push to include ALL vets getting the day off on Veterans day.

me...a vet and decided to call in sick yesterday and today laugh

I'm a vet. I had yesterday off but that's because I dropped a vacation day for butchering deer.

I'm all for Veterans day being a paid holiday.

I'm not for making a law that forces employers to give Vets teh day off. Sorry to rain on the parade.

However, I do feel that employers should feel obligated to provide the day off on their own. I feel that public pressure could be just as effective as a law.

BTW, thanks for all you veterans have done!

I'm a Vet and worked, but it is a holiday in our trade. I worked due to work load but will take my day the week of Thanksgiving.

I'm all for giving Vets a day off, and making non vets work that day. I mean come on, other than a half hearted thanks once a year what do we get for the sacrafices we have done so others didn't have to?

i have issue with that statement mnfishinguy. I'm for this idea because i apperciate the things our service men and women do. I do not however, believe they are entitled to it. Our military is an all volunteer force. I did not "trade" my spot in the military to someone. I registered when I was 18 and eligible for the draft.

You join the military because it's your choice. I apperciate the service greatly as i appericatae good cops and firefighters and paramedics.

If you do not apperciate our thanks...than so be it. My gratitude is there.

Loos15 you are entitled to your opinion, and being a non-vet, you would know what we went through. WOW.

The thing that bugs me is the was set up I think FOR the Veterans that served and died for this country, and NOT for State employess and whomever else that considers this a National Holiday. I could care less if I have the day off. It would be nice, but not necessary. I served during the vietnam war and DAYS OFF were unheard of. I was on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

This day is a joke in the most part, and another FREE day for some.

Speaking of all vets, we do appreciate the kinds words, but please stop abusing the day.

Oh and by the way NO ONE except for a few on this forum said thank you to me in person.

Gary C.

Gary, I can't feel what you guys went through, but I do have an understanding of it. My friend told me the same thing yesterday about no one even calling him up to say something along the lines of a thank you.

As for Vietnam vets, you guys are in a different category than what I was talking about. Obviously our military wasn't a volunteer force back then. The [PoorWordUsage] you guys got when you came home was a shame.

But I do want to ask you this...are the American people more supportive of our troops now...than back then?

I can understand your feelings, but isn't giving one day off a year a pretty small price to pay for others sacrafices? It's just one day. I understand that it's a volunteer force, but so is the police and fire department.

I'd be really interested in knowing how many people who "support" our vets and got that day off and went and volunteered at their local vets home or to the VA to see what a sacrafice looks like?

Here's the deal, I don't care if your the garbage man or a multi-millionaire, if your a veteran...you get the day off and the rest us (for once) will cover for you!! Come on folks it's not that hard to fiquire out, one day out of the year to honor our Veteran's doesn't have to turn in to a political B.S. agree/disagree debate. If your not a Veteran don't sit there and whine that you didn't get the day off, you didn't do anything to deserve it anyway, if you are a Veteran and didn't get the day off then your boss should be ashamed!!! Thanks Vet's!!! I appreciate you! (non-vet and worked without complaining).

I got the day off and I got payed for it and I went deer hunting. Wether or not Im a Vet is none of anybodys god darn biznezz. If your employer gives you the day off than take it and enjoy your day. If your employer wants you to work that day, then get of your azz and GO TO WORK!

I agree 100%. A paid day off for vets is the least we can do. I personally think they should get a nearly guaranteed job at a livable wage and health care for life as good as our politicians.

I agree 100%. A paid day off for vets is the least we can do. I personally think they should get a nearly guaranteed job at a livable wage and health care for life as good as our politicians.

Its called first dibs on civil servant jobs.

A day set a side for vets in order to recognise and honer veterans and some feel they want more. If you joined the military for recognition you joined for the wrong reasons.

I work for a publicly funded agency and had to work. When I a was kid back in the 1960's just about everyone had the day off. School was even closed. Back then unions were strong and unions were full of WW II and Korea vets. Things have changed.

Me...Vet/worked.

Dont you dislike welfare and helping those in need and now your asking the government for entitlements.

A day set a side for vets in order to recognise and honer veterans and some feel they want more.

Your right, a day set aside for VETS. Nobody want more than that, just OUR day. Period. If others feel they need a day then do something to earn that day.

I really think to honer and to show gratification to our military the energy should be spent on continuing healthcare and social programs to help veterans after their service is up. And not just to those that were in a non-war or in an actual war past or present. You served you get life long help if wanted and are not forgotten in the time of need.

What is Menmorial Day for?