• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sweet Redemption - Daughter bags a buck

Well - I wrote after last weekend that my daughter was learning the taste of tag soup after missing a doe at 25 yards.

Well the story took quite a turn. My wife called me Monday night and told me the land owner where we hunt called her and told her that the deer have been running all over their land. I said that is it, I called in to work and said I wasn't going to be in until noon. I told my daughter that she was going to be missing school. We were going to give the spot one more try.

The story: We got to the spot at a little before 6:00, but the wind was wrong, so I thought we better change plans. We moved (in the dark) to a spot I thought would be good. Unfortunately, this spot put us about 125 yards away from the trail I wanted to over look. I decided at about 6:45 to move 50 yards closer. We set up behind a large dead fall and the wait was on. At about 7:15, a large doe moved across the top of the next ridge. As we were watching her, my daughter got into ready position "just in case she comes down the ridge" 10 minutes later, I checked the trail down wind of the doe and there he was and he was coming hard. I told her that she needed to get ready and I said I was going to try and stop it in the first shooting lane. bahh - He didn't stop! BAHH - HE locked up in the second shooting lane. I whispered quickly - Aim a little high above the shoulder and keep your eyes open this time. Boooooom! The deer lurched and took off up the ridge. "Did I hit it?" I told her that it looked good. I followed the deer as it ran up the ridge and I thought I saw it stumble, but I wanted to be sure. Then I thought I heard it fall. I told her that I am 90% sure that this buck is down just on top of the ridge. We walked down to where it was standing ( I paced off 80 yards). No blood - Dad - I think I missed again! I said just wait, lets look around a little. I went 10 yards and found a spot of blood. I told Taylor to stay on last blood and we slowly tracked up the hill. The blood got to be a little bit more, but nothing special. I told her that we are going to keep going, cause I think it was a good hit. I got to the top of the hill and I walked around a bush and there he laid. He had made it about 100 yards (and this is 100 yards closer to the truck - Yippee for Dad)

Of all the deer hunts I have been on kill or no kill, this was the funnest most exciting hunt I have been involved in. Her is a picture of her deer and if you could see the smile on my face, well, lets just say that I don't think it would've fit in the picture.

The deer is a heavy 9-pointer (should've been a 10 pointer, but the tip of the one main beam broke off at the G4. 164 pounds.

The shot was about 80 yards and she hit it a little high, but low enough to take out both lungs. The reason the blood was so sparse was because the little .20 gauge slug didn't go all the way thru. Couldn't be prouder of the shot.

Almost forgot to mention - She is only 12.

115vw9.jpg

Tell her congrats from all of us, better yet show her all the replies she's gotten on here!

That is sure a heavy racked buck. Regarding the small amount of blood. I just shot a 9 ptr yesterday at 13 yrds with a slug gun. The deer only went 25 yrds but there was hardly a drop of blood. The slug tore through both lungs and blew out the top of the heart. I sure found the no blood interesting with that shot placement.

Thanks for the story!! My blaze orange hat is off to you for taking your daughter hunting. Sounds like you did an excellent job tracking the deer. I'm glad it didn't run by any other hunters, because some guys would have shot it and claimed it for themselves (even though your daughter made the killing shot)!!!

Yeh Stage, she told me that we should hang them next to each other! I said there is no chance of that happening - It would look wierd with two deer heads so close. She had me pegged though - "You just don't want mine to make yours look small" Yep Exactly right. She is actually very humble about the experience. Just keeps saying - I am glad that I hit it where I did, I wouldn't have liked looking around the woods all day wondering what happened. Thank you all for the positive responses. I can't wait until she gets home and looks on here and sees all of these. What a great tool for boosting a young lady into the hunting world.

Dads turn this weekend!

Good luck and safe hunting to all.

DL