• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

back, sorry i have been gone

Sorry I have been away for a while guys. Life sure does get hectic with a new baby around the house. My wife gave birth to a healthy baby girl this past Aug back in Minnesota. We are back in Alaska now but I have learned my life has changed a bit.

I definitely have less free-time to play online, but i will do my best to be here everyday for at least a bit during the trapping season.

As for my goals for this year I am going to get my fox line out this upcoming weekend. Just a small line for fox this year, I hope to snag 20 or 30 fox.

My real big goal is to snag some lynx and one wolverine this year. I have been purchasing more traps and making snares like crazy to put in a long cat line. The numbers are high right now. Last year I did not get a cat line started until end of feb, and then only had a few weeks with traps out and missed a few due to frozen traps, pans, etc....

I am hoping for a better year and a longer season this year. I am going to try and punch my cat line in over turkey day weekend, and at the far end of my cat line there is a "fair" chance for a wolverine. It will be totally new territory for me so my first trip i will have a travel companion who has been up the area i am planning on trapping before. I have only seen it from the air, and of course google earth, but that does little for learning about the dangerous spots in the ice on the rivers.

I will take lots of photos as i put in my fox line and my cat line and post them for you.

Well I am not expecting much on my fox this year. I will be happy with a 30 average i think, and that might even be pushing it from what i am hearing. I am toying with the idea of tanning and selling locally to some fur sewers if i can find enough people looking.

As far as lynx, I won't be selling any until i get at least 4 and then i will probably send to NAFA or try the taxi market. And i doubt prices will be as good as last year.

I have never been a fan of fall and winter beaver trapping, but i might have to start as they always sell well tanned to the local hat and mitt makers.

I think your right Fish. If you look at the stock market and the fur industry as it stands this year, a trapper needs to find a niche, or a specialty type of situation, to make your time worth while. I don't mean to say, that I have to make lots of money, or I will not trap, but I will say, with the price of gas and the unsure market, I don't want to lose money. I have been able to do some ADC work as a matter of fact, I was hired to do 2 more beavedr control jobs tonight.

Yeah price of gas up here is crazy. It is going down all over the country, we are locked in at 5.75 all winter long. And that is not as bad as heating fuel, that is slightly over 6 bucks a gallon, that is going to be the real killer this winter.

It must be nice when you can do beaver ADC work during the season so you can sell the pelts grin

Yes it sure helps. People don't seem to bat an eye when you tell them you are going to charge them, I've received 3 calls this week and was hired for all 3 jobs. I am going to wait until deer season is over before I get started. Gas dropped to $2.13 a gallon here. Propane is $1.90 per gallon.

2.13 a gallon, man i am JEALOUS. I have to travel about 15 miles on snowmachine to start my line, and then it will run for about 40-50 miles. My machine gets 8 miles to the gallon when pulling a load depending on snow conditions. so my line round trip will be between 110-130 miles. Which means it will be right around a hundred bucks a trip to run it. Wife is going to KILL me after this year as i already know I won't make enough to break even.

Hey Browny, I was just reading through last years thread. That was really some good stuff, funny stories and good information in there. Hopefully this trapping season will be just as much fun. Fish, you will have to be the catalist. We live for your stories and enjoy your trapping expieriences. And you have Sara Palin up there, you have it made.