• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

IGL Ice fishing.

I started Ice fishing about 3 years ago. Mostly kept to local lakes. Last year I went over to Spirit a couple of times and had terrible luck. Out of three trips I caught one 8 inch perch.

Now, I bought all of the laminated maps of Spirit Lake, West Okoboji, and East Okoboji. After looking over all of the maps I have a couple of questions.

1. Which lake is the best for panfishing & waldos?

I'm thinking that West Okoboji should be the lake to target since it has the depth and structure that should make finding fish easier then in Spirit Lake where structure is very minimal.

2. What depths should one hit for

1.Perch

2.Crappie

3.Bluegill

4.Walleyes

3. Which bays are the most productive/accessible in the winter.

4.What's the best/your favorite bait shop in town?

Maps are good but a good GPS with a map chip is even better.

Stans is my baitshop of choice, John the owner will treat you fair and has built up a good selection of tackle.

I like West for about everything, depth depends on the time of season and the day. I have caught jumbos and waldos in 8' in Smiths Bay. Spirit can be good but being mobile is the key to the perch. Anglers early ice we do well on about everything. I have a few places I fish where you'll see about every species swim by in a days time. One minute you'll have a few crappies come by next minute it may be 2-3 eyes, then a 50" muskie then bluegills. Always interesting to see what swims by, the frustrating parts getting them to eat.

Stop by and say hi if you see my rig, Black Jimmy or White Trailblazer with a little homemade hillbilly trailer. Green Eskimo Qwick Flip III shack. I'm out and about somewhere every weekend theres fishable ice.

Sure always willing to show a guy around. Hoping 1st weekend of Dec. Spirits temps are already at 37 we'll see how it holds out. It would be nice to have ice again like last year where a guy could drive anywhere he wanted. I do miss my quad, I traded it when I moved here thinking I wouldn't use it, I love the boat I traded it for but come ice season I kinda wish I still had it. Last year I started drilling on Nov 28th a guy can hope it will be that early this year.

Anglers on Spirit will be first along with East, I have never fished the ice on East so at a loss there. Templar also on Spirit will be a first ice. Small lakes will also ice over quick and some can be good fishing I just haven't fished some of them alot through the ice yet.

Anglers and the Grade on Spirit ice over early, Little Miller and Little Emerson ice over early and are good for gils and dink perch on West.

Another early ice favorite for panfish on Spirit would be the boat ramp at Templar.

on occasion, I have always gotten my pike fix on Waubay or when at home on East Graham. But I know a couple good ol boys who go for the gators on Ocheda every year, I even know some good ol girls who get all their picklers there! Okabena has some really nice fish in it. You just have to get to them. I caught some nice walleye out there last year too.

Big Spirit is hot this year for perch. Stans bait shop in Milford is one of the best around, as a matter of fact it is the best. You get this way look for me on west lake at Haywards bay. Just look for the white shack with W Hansen on it. If you don't find it drive to the south end of Center lake, look for a brown house with 3 purple martin poles at the west end of the yard and a Red chevy pickup in the drive. I will be more than happy to show ya around.

What are you after?? Gills and perch can be had in Anglers now 8' in weed pockets got us a few Sunday. Saw several shacks about dark move out on the break before dusk, guessing in hopes of walleye. Once the ice on the bays on West get hard enough to fish that will open up alot of new waters. e mail me [email protected] and I'll let you tag along some weekend. All I can promise is you will see fish, up to you to catch them LOL

Hi Esox_Magnum... I and moparmarv are looking for about anything that is biting... lol. We enjoy catching perch, gills, crappies or anything else that might bite along the way. We have been trying all kinds of jigs and methods but usually not working when we try it.

We would love to tag along with you sometime... Seeing fish and even catching them would be great... Even the socializing is worth it all... If you want you can email me at [email protected] or [email protected]. Let us know when you are heading out... We are thinking about maybe trying some fishing this Sunday if it works out.

Nasty weather coming in, already under an advisory for Sunday here, rain changing to snow with blowing snow. 2-4" forcasted with wind chills falling to -15 or lower by evening.

Today was slow for us saw hundreds of perch all 2-5" LOL Not many gills seen, wife lost a 24" or so pike and had a low 40" muskie staring down her minnow for awhile. With Sundays forcast I think we'll be someplace out of the wind, just not sure if theres a bite where we are going.

Hit Smith's all day yesterday and trying to decide if I wanna sit in the rain this morning. Ended up with 21 gills and three perch. I found anywhere from 3-5" of good ice but no standing weeds. Also seen some very nice walleyes and had to release an 18" that couldn't resist my plastics.