• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

first ice first trip. what fish will you target what lure?

robert1965

For me it will be a metro lake with Little Atom Optic Stealth tipped with a Nuggie. I will be chasing crappies and gills. Give me 3 and I am walkin. I plan to pack light for first ice. Only things going out there are a Lazer hand auger, a sled, a bucket the vex and my Marcum Rod Pac. Keep it nice and light to not fall through.

I'm with Tom here, It will be chasing gills or crappies near home. I just got an ice fishing order that I bought off the net.. will probably have one of my new lures tied on. I'm more lazy than Tom though.. Even though the ice is thin, i'll probably still have my Nils power head attached.. LOL

I also plan to pack light (similar to Tom). I bought a small sled and hand auger just for early ice. My SM Lazer hand auger will cut thru 4-6" of ice in about 15 seconds. If doing a lot of hole hopping, it is good exercise (with the thin ice, don't like to cut too many holes in the same area eek )

I'll probably start out with a chubby darter to see if I can hit some active fish. If they aren't hitting the darter/Rap/power minnow, I will probably fall back on my confidence pan fish plastics - nuggies on a diamond jig/genz bug.

Will also put up a tip up to see if I can pick off a pike/walleye.

I've got my two Citica 200E's and place order for two Thorne Bros. baitcasting ice rods. Hopefully I will get my rods by the time for the ice fishing show is in town. My new lure's to try this year will be the bigger Rattle flyer spoon and the bigger chubby darters. I've got 6# gamma and 6# silverthread spooled.

Give me 3 and I am walkin.

I'm sure that's fun, but it's not for me.

Too many bad experiences on thin ice to go out that early.

I'll wait for 6" breathe a little easier.

I'll be poppin' nite bite slabs and the occasional walleye on a small Wright Cty lake.

Hope to get on the Chippewa Flowage before the end of the month because as of Dec 1st, it's closed for fishing. Tip-ups with a big sucker and a Swedish Pimple tipped with a minnow head.

muskie through the ice? thats pretty cool!

I'm betting on 3" of ice on either a certain metro area lake or one up north a little more by Thanksgiving. (If I remember right I was standing on a metro lake last year the weekend of Thanksgiving and so far temps are looking good for that again)

I plan to sight fish for northern pike (or maybe a skie till Dec. 1) using Northland Airplane bucktail jigs. Maybe some 'gills and/ or crappies sometime too with a few different jigs and little atom plastics.

Originally Posted By: snoozebutton
Hope to get on the Chippewa Flowage before the end of the month because as of Dec 1st, it's closed for fishing. Tip-ups with a big sucker and a Swedish Pimple tipped with a minnow head.

muskie through the ice? thats pretty cool!

No, walleyes but I have caught one muskie (around 36 inches.)