• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your best little secret !

I've probably had my scope on over 100 bucks in Minnesota, I've taken 24 of them. What is your best little secret to the ones that seem to produce annualy, of course having the right land and people around you practicing QDM and the go/grow program has helped me, I'll start with my main secret, it is get to that stand as quietly and efficiently as you can and be on it and quiet at least 45 minutes before you can shoot. Here's why, when neighboring hunters come about, they'll push deer your way, if you are already set up, you won't bump them off your property. Case in point I would rather be there an hour before you can shoot than to sit from 10-11am. Weather pending and I'll sit all day. Ok, 3 years ago I had a huge 10 pointer walk past me about 30 minutes before I could shoot, if I were on my way to my stand I would've pushed that deer out of the area or deep into the swamp where he might hunker down for the day. This not exactly has happened many times to me. Also, if I bump a deer an hour before I'm more likely to have that deer not get too freaked out and storm out of the area, back to that 10 pointer he wandered past and stopped by some pine trees and he just stood there for a long time, checked the watch and had 15 minutes to go, he wandered west, about 5 minutes before shooting he came back and just stood near that popple highground sniffing and listening, finally time was up and he walked out from those pine trees and that 221 pound dressed animal had my tag on him.This has happened numerous times, not always the buck you want, but early bird catches the worm, this tactic works well in good deer/high pressure areas.

Mine is put in the time!! If it takes you sittin in your stand all day being board to see a buck then do it. It will be worth it. Another is almost the same but, If you do plan on heading in mid day or so, stay out longer then other hunters in the area. They might push some deer your way. But you can't beat putting in time in the stand. It might take a day or two or even half the week but, Most likely soon enough youll see something.

I agree with both posts as well... great points. My hunting success went way up once I started sitting all day... I have probably seen, on average, 7 more deer/season because I sit all day.

I also believe that getting to your stand early and efficiently helps too.

Here is one more... don't over-hunt a stand. Typically, after three or so sits in a stand, deer activity will be way down. They pattern you at that point. I always try to switch it up. If I really feel that a stand will produce, I will hunt elsewhere for a few days then go back to it.