• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pizza dough recipes

I grew up in new york so definately miss really good pizza,(actually have one really good place by me called tino's on hwy 7 that reminds me of ny pizza but a little pricey) so have tried about 7 or 8 recipes that I found online, the one below is my favorite, but always searching for a better one

1 package active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees)

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

2 teaspoons yellow cornmeal

Directions:

Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Stir 1-1/4 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt into yeast mixture to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.

Place dough in a large bowl coated with coil, turning dough to coat. Cover; let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)

Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Roll dough into a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a pizza pan or baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Drizzle dough with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Place pan on lowest oven rack; bake at 450 for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; top with desired toppings and bake an additional 10 minutes or until crust and cheese is lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Here is a Pizza Hut clone recipe.2 important things here.

1.Always use bread or bread machine flour.It has way more gluten than all-purpose which allows it to stretch.

2.Knead 8-10 minutes to develope that glutten.Take a small ball of dough and stretch it out thin enough to see light through w/o tearing.This is called the "Bakers Window."

1 1/3 C warm water

1 pkg quick yeast

1 Tbs sugar

1/4 C oil

1 tsp salt

1/3 C milk

4 C bread flour

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.Add remaining ingredients and knead.Place in a Pam sprayed bowl and allow to rise for an hour.This will make enough dough for 2 medium pizzas or 1 very large one.I usually divide in half after rising and put half in the freezer to make the next time.

I grew up in new york so definately miss really good pizza,(actually have one really good place by me called tino's on hwy 7 that reminds me of ny pizza but a little pricey) so have tried about 7 or 8 recipes that I found online, the one below is my favorite, but always searching for a better one

1 package active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees)

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

2 teaspoons yellow cornmeal

Directions:

Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Stir 1-1/4 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt into yeast mixture to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.

Place dough in a large bowl coated with coil, turning dough to coat. Cover; let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)

Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Roll dough into a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a pizza pan or baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Drizzle dough with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Place pan on lowest oven rack; bake at 450 for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; top with desired toppings and bake an additional 10 minutes or until crust and cheese is lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I used to travel to NY allot and one of the things I miss is the pizza! Thin crust, perfect balance of the sauce, not loaded with cheese. Yes we have some good pizza's here but I have not found one that matches up with the one of 5000 little hole in the wall places in NY. Maybe we just like our pizza here loaded with cheese and meat on a roll.

One other thing......pizza pans make a difference......the best I have found are the aluminum ones with holes in them.Pizza stones don't work unless they are preheated in the 425 gegree oven.But then you need a pizza peel to make it on and slide in onto the stone.

Glad you liked the recipe skunked again. Crust comes out pretty good. I tried to use a pizza stone but didnt have a peel the first time i made it. Couldnt get it off the cookie sheet. Was a huge freaking mess. Fish or golf, if you live out in the western suburbs you have to try tino's. About as close as it gets to ny pizza out here.

Glad you liked the recipe skunked again. Crust comes out pretty good. I tried to use a pizza stone but didnt have a peel the first time i made it. Couldnt get it off the cookie sheet. Was a huge freaking mess. Fish or golf, if you live out in the western suburbs you have to try tino's. About as close as it gets to ny pizza out here.
What I do to get the pizza on the stones is I spread the dough out on parchment paper on a cutting board then put the toppings on then take stone out of oven and slide parchment paper and pizza on to stone and back in oven. Works pretty slick. The exposed paper burns a bit but it does not effect the pizza.

I use a stone and a peal. The key for me is to put a dusting of corn meal on the peal, then the crust. Next I add my sauce and toppings, then the Za slides off the Peal easily onto the stone. The cornmeal helps the Za slide off like little ball bearings.