• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hello -

I'm sure its been debated and redebated a few times here, but I'm wondering if those of you who've used Hevi-Shot or Hevi-Steel or other similar products have noticed a difference? I don't much care about whether its worth the extra money or not - I'll maybe shoot 6 boxes total this year so the cost difference isn't going to make my kids go without food. So far I've shot maybe half a box of Hevi-Steel and I kinda dig it - just wondering what those of you who've used it more think. Also, are there other brands you would recommend?

thanks - erik

I'm like you , I only shoot 5-6 boxes a year so the cost isn't a major factor . I have used Hevi-shot and Remington Wingmaster HD , and that is all I use. Terrific stuff, that is all I use, better than lead.When you hit the birds they are DEAD !!!!!

The high speed Wingmaster HD, and Kent Tungsten Matrix are brutal. I shot up the rest of my bargin basement Kents and unless I can find it for the same price...... cry

The Remington HD works good too, and with the rebates and occasional sales it's almost affordable smile

Kent Fasteel loaded in #3's 1 1/8 oz shoots the best in my fowling piece. I burned through some Black Cloud this year and I would say that the stuff works good although it is one of the dirtiest loads I have ever shot (need to clean gun more often).

For me I found myself behind birds a lot more with the Black Cloud because I am use to shooting the fastest loads on the market (1 1/8oz Kent, 1560 fps) and BC is around 1475 fps if I remember correctly. So I had to remind myself that I needed to lead the birds just slightly more when using BC.

Cloud does a number on geese though, I will tell you that much. Hit 'em square and they come down dead, period. Its advantageous because you can use a smaller shot size like 2's for honkers and increase your pellet hit count and not lose knockdown power. You won't have holes the size of quarters in your meat either.

estate has become my "go-to" cheap steel shot in BB loads. as far as hevishot, i loved the old remington stuff; so much that i bought up a ton of it this spring. i havent found a premium non tox yet that patterns as good as that stuff did. and at the price point and how much i shoot, i havent been able to justify buying any more non tox to pattern with.

I have been thinking about trying Black Cloud, but for the most part I only shoot hevi shot. I go thru a couple of boxes a year and spread out the purchase of it between seasons.

I had a bad opener a few years ago using some federal steel shot and hit 5 ducks and all i had to show for it was a sky full of feathers, wont go back to plain steel again.

I will say hevi shot is a worlds of difference also. Bought 3 cases of it from wal-mart at the end of the year for only 6 dollars a box. was shooting black cloud during snow goose season and it was ok. brought along 3 boxes of hevi shot and wow what a difference. no more hearing the bbs hit and nothing happen. they fall like a ton of bricks. same goes for ducks. if you compare how many times you shoot say regular steel and then hevi shot i thi k it would equal itself out.