• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do I need to retrofit my dropdown with brakes? HELP!!!!

ICETP

I need the real answer to this, I'm sure there are others wondering about putting brakes on there dropdowns. Can we get an answer from someone in the know. There are many dropdowns both comercial made and homemade that have none. What is the law? Thanks in advance.

I need the real answer to this, I'm sure there are others wondering about putting brakes on there dropdowns. Can we get an answer from someone in the know. There are many dropdowns both comercial made and homemade that have none. What is the law? Thanks in advance.

I went through this already this year. I brought my wheelhouse to the local scale and found out it weighed 3900#. I also found out the axels that were on my house were not made with a flange to mount brakes to. I brought it to the guy that makes the frames for Ice Castle and he is retrofiting my house with new axels with brakes. Not cheap, but gotta do it. Also remember that you may need marker lights too (I had to do that project earlier in the year).

I weighed my 18 foot dropdown and it is 2880 LBS, which allowed me to be licensed permenatly (sticker on tongue).I am now thinking of putting electric brakes on for extra saftey,after all 120 LBS is not much when you start loading gear. (I had my LP tanks full and on the trailer when weighed)

Question #1.Do I need the breakaway to be legal?

#2.Do I need additional marker lights or can I use reflectors?

Thanks to all

ICETP

.... which allowed me to be licensed permenatly (sticker on tongue).

I am also under the 3000lb weight, but they would not give me a permanent sticker. Mine ended up being licensed as a recreational trailer (because I have sleeping quarters). I got a license plate and have to go back each year to get tabs just like a car.

I weighed my 18 foot dropdown and it is 2880 LBS, which allowed me to be licensed permenatly (sticker on tongue).I am now thinking of putting electric brakes on for extra saftey,after all 120 LBS is not much when you start loading gear. (I had my LP tanks full and on the trailer when weighed)

Question #1.Do I need the breakaway to be legal?

#2.Do I need additional marker lights or can I use reflectors?

Thanks to all

ICETP

Keep in mind that the weight of the trailer does NOT determine the licensing of the trailer, it is the Gross Vehichle Weight Rating for the trailer. If you have tandem axels your probably looking at 7000 -10,000 GVWR for your licensing purposes. Single axle would be 3000 -4500 range. That is how trailer are rated, not how much they actually weight, due to the cargo they haul.