Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark Christianson

Brandons first deer

17 posts in this topic

With the new laws, I was able to take my 11 year old son out for his first deer hunt.

11 hrs straight on stand without a break Saturday for B and I. Only deer we saw all day was a doe and her twins at 11:30 and they came running through about 40 yds out. Brandon wasnt quite ready or quite sure how to do whatever he needed to do. So off they went. Him and I ran through some practice motions after that to try and ready him a little quicker next time.

At 5:15 pm with only minutes of light left on Saturday, Brandon had his first deer down. He was on the gun, and ready in a second. He learned what we discussed after the doe that came by earlier, and he wasnt going to mess up this time.

I am not quite sure who was more excited.

brandonsfirstdeer7.jpg

brandonsfirstdeer6.jpg

Wow, great photos! Nice going Brandon! I expect some tasty jerky and pepper sticks on the ice this winter....

Congrats, I have 9 years to wait before my first can give it a go. Hopefully, he will have the same reaction. The pictures tell a thousand words. I don't recall seeing a bigger smile on a kid.

Very Cool BLB!

That is a very nice first Buck. Some have to wait until they are 20, 30, 40 or 50 before antlers become part of the memory.

Thanks for sharing.

Great job Brandon! Wow, 11 hours in stand. I've never even thought about sitting in stand that long before.. With that kind of patience, this will be your first of many!!!!

Congratulations!!

I'm with Deitz, no way could I make it 11 hours on stand. Not a chance. Way to go!

Good post BLB. Congrats to you and your son.

What a fantastic photo!! Congrats to Brandon on joining the tradition of harvesting his own deer.

Hey BLB,

Those are AWESOME photos!!! Congrats to both Brandon and Dad.

If you and Gissert are on ST ice fishing let me know... I want some jerky too!

Congrats, that's a great story. I didn't make it 11 hours at all this weekend.

Another proud father and a future trophy hunter for sure, 11 hours in a stand that's incredible!!! Great buck and smile!

mr

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Bummer. Battling a cough/cold here and the snooze alarm won this morning.  Hopefully I'll get out later this week.
    •   I use them and they seem to work fine. I guess with the poppin version I don't really walk them, I just work them in the holes and around other Bassy looking cover. I don't work them real fast. My guess is you would probably want to use the standard style for walking them.   Cret what versions did you test for walking, the standard styles or the poppin versions? 
    • Looked them up.   Personally they seem underpowered but it will depend on how much water you need to remove when you finally need that pump. The water powered pumps performance is based on water pressure. If you have 60+ psi then you can get 500-900 gpm and it looks like you will use 1 gallon of tap water for every 2 you pump out of the pit. For comparison I generally use 3/4 horse pumps at a minimum for the pumps which gives you something north of 3000 gph.   I'm not real sure if code and insurance even allow them so check first. If you have a small house and if the sump doesn't get used much it might be an option.
    • Just returned home last night. Had 3 Jake's come in at 7am on my 1st morning and decided to pass on them. Never saw or heard a Tom the next 5 days. Oh well maybe I learned a lesson. Good luck to all.  
    • Never saw a water driven pump. The ones I use and know if are the battery backup kind. They are sold at all if the big box stores and are around $300 I believe. They run off of an automotive type battery that has a trickle charger attached to it to maintain the charge. You have as much backup power as your battery has capacity and then that pump is dead as well so it's a short term solution.having a generator is very helpful as part of the backup plan.
    • I missed one last night.   Shot a 3D archery shoot yesterday and did really well.  From there straight to my blind for an evening hunt.  Big tom came in to 32 yards. I ranged him, dialed in my sight and slid one just passed him. That's as far as I've ever shot with my bow but was feeling pretty confident after shooting all day. Oh well.   Sitting in another spot right now and as of 6:30 have not yet heard a peep.  Can't sit long today, dang work always getting in the way of my fun.
    • I have been meaning to try to stick a yote too whenever I was out I hoped one would show up instead of a turkey.
    • should have set up in the grass! Uncle went back for evening set up at a pinch point hen and tom came through to go back to roost but no shot!
    • Beside the fun of fooling a turkey and sticking it witj my bow,this is why I love turkey hunting. Slow smoked with apple on the pellet smoker. 
    • Does anyone have a water driven backup sump pump? They look like the cats meow if you live in town. Or does code even allow them? If they are not allowed what is the best battery backup ones?
  • Our Sponsors