• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy vs. Live

IkeThePike

Been spearing a now for close to a decade. Just a few questions to that may enlighten my narrow mind.

1) I always use live suckers. Usually the large-pike variety. Anybody else use any other type of live bait?

2) How do you guys feel about live vs. decoyed? I have luck with live and never with decoys? Plus live usually swims around by itself (less work).

3) Finally, I've been checking out these threads and saw some neat northern/muskie decoys. Wow, I have never even thought about using such a large decoy. Does a 16" decoy draw in larger pikes and/or curious mid-size 30" pikes?

4) I'm not sure why I didn't come by this site many many years ago. But I may be hooked now. Much easier on here than talking to the deadbeats at the local bait shop.

Thanks for your input... However, I'm not really an "old timer" just been doing it since i was able to throw the spear.

I'm not sure i could find a large enough shiner? I'm not sure how big they get and if large ones are even available at the bait shops i shop. But for sure, shiners are must for me when tip-up fishing.

And good point. My largest pike has been around 13lbs... If I ever get one big one though I will probably take it and never take another. I just need one +40", not too much to ask for.

usually have one of each down. I have had pike come into decoys and slide right by the sucker and not even bat and eye, then other times I have had pike swim right by the the decoy while I am working it and head for the sucker. Just depends on the day and the mood of the fish.

Mrk seen what i do, and i ahve show alot of people that, and after people have seen my setup, i beileve there going to it as well.

I run a fake and a live at the same time, on the same line. The reason i do that is becuase i have all the movement on my fake decoy from the live when when the live is swiming around.

I never once have to touch my line, until i have to pull it back when a fish is taking it.

Wow, Bass N' Spear. Two on one line, genius! I'm going to go start rigging up this weekend. Do usually run the live bait on the bottom or top? Thanks a bunch!!

I'm still curious to hear stories of how a 20" decoy has worked.

2) How do you guys feel about live vs. decoyed? I have luck with live and never with decoys? Plus live usually swims around by itself (less work).

3) Finally, I've been checking out these threads and saw some neat northern/muskie decoys. Wow, I have never even thought about using such a large decoy. Does a 16" decoy draw in larger pikes and/or curious mid-size 30" pikes?

I only used a live decoy once last year, that was at the get-to-gator. I used to use a live decoy all the time, sometimes alone, sometimes with a fake. Last year I decided to use only fake decoys, mostly my own homemade ones. Would I have seen more fish with the live minnow, probably, but I get more satisfaction when they come into a decoy that I made.

As far as the bigger decoys go, I havn't used them yet. I will let you know later.

When and where? My schedule is kind of iffy at the moment. Graduating school this December and still looking for a job. Think I'm taking a two week sabbatical after I graduate and heading up Blackduck area. Ha...

check the post above that is sticky, says 3rd annual spearing get to gator. Here is the link.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...g_Outtin#UNREAD

I rarely if ever use a live decoy. It's always been more work than it's worth. I carve all my own decoys so I have a wide variety of decoys to choose from to see what's working. A lot of guys will run one large brightly painted "confidence" decoy on the outside edge of the hole as an attractant and leave it sit still.

For the most part I run one decoy at a time. I find I have more success this way and there's less in my way when they do come in. Although I have been known to run a puppet show from time to time.

When I first started 35+ years ago we never used live decoys, mainly used a red and white or some type of home made decoy. Used anything from a golf ball with stripes painted on it to a large dare devil without the hooks. Today I use both a live and a red and white at the same time. Most of the time I never move the red and white, use the live for movement. My biggest fish (a 42 and 46 inch) have come when using nothing but a red and white.

Everyone has there own favotite setup, so try a few different things and use what feels right for you.

i need to post a picture of a "decoy" that my uncles used when they were kids. they said it drove the pike nuts, and even when they came through to hit it, and they missed, they would always come back to hit it again!! i guess as if to destroy it - on a mission!!! it was basically a red head and a tail made of stiff tinsel - like on a christmas tree, but it would stay out behind the decoy in the water. their original one was destroyed, and they all grew up and got jobs - they got out of spearing..... but my one uncle tried to reproduce this decoy from scratch. i will take detailed pics for you guys, but i first need to view the pic posting guidelines to figure out how to get my pics up....

so bass how do you attach the live decoy line to the fake decoy, just screw another eyelet into the bottom of it? just curious if there was something special ther that needs to be done to keep it swimming straight while down in the water. Thanks

I run two decoys on seperate lines. its work but it passes the time. I like a live decoy when it sits kind of motionless and then when it gets nervous you can kind of judge if something is comeing in and I will use the fake decoy aggressively jiggin it and this ussally draws them in sometimes they come in so fast theres no time to spear them but thats a rush in its self

Hey Bass N Spear, I have the same question as Cass Master. How do you attach the live decoy to the fake decoy? I remember from one of your past threads that you explained it and even had a picture? But I am not able to find it. Thanks

005_16A.jpg

Its not a very clean photo, which i can take another one once i get out. I tie it directly to the decoy right in the middle. That way when the live decoy moves, your going to have normal movement from your fake decoy.

You dont want to tie the live to long, becuase the decoy will swim up high, and if the live from the fake decoy to thel ive decoy is to long, then it will flip over the top of the fake decoy, and you will have nothing but problems.

The key is that if its clear water, i will shorten the line becuase i will have my fake decoy lower, and if its dirty, i will have it longer, beucase i want the fake decoy to be up higher, and the live decoy closer to the bottom.

Does that make since?