• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

split fire spark plugs

Steve Foss

Question

8 answers to this question

I love Splitfires. I run my '99 Johnson 115 on them, in fact I have had the same set for 3 years. I don't have a need to change them! They perform flawlessly and burn perfect, and my motor never skips a beat. Replacing them every year for $7 each is not that necessary in my opinion.

Think of it this way, You have a mass of some flamable substance, Lets say propane for instance. First experiment you hold a match to the mass and create an ignition. Second experiment you hold the mass of propane over a campfire and ignite it. Which one is going to create a bigger bang? It makes no difference if its lit with a spark or a torch, it still takes a standard amount of time for the fuel to ignite. So in conclusion, its all A BUNCH OF dump! but a great way to make an extra buck if you're selling them.

Split fire type spark plugs have been around for a few years, the first that I know of was an "infomercial" type actually called splitfire, since then several major plug manufacturers now produce a "split-fire" type plug. Personally, I think they are only a little better than a marketing gimmick. For the extra money, you get a little more material around the electrode. Other than that, contrary to popular belief, they do not make a stronger spark. The total energy discharged is determined by the output of the coil(s) or magnetos, what they put out is what they put out, there is no simple device you can put downline from them to "boost" your spark. What you can do is ensure that all the components in the ignition and charging circuits are functioning properly and efficiently, a good mechanic can diagnose and repair/replace these components if necessary, and if there is a condition of the motor necessatating going with other than a manufacturers specified plug, go with the advice of the mechanic. A tune up from a competent mechanic may seem expensive, but may actually save you money in the long run.