• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ML first shot accuracy

96trigger

Ok, I never got my deer during the archery season, so I shot my new ML on Sunday, and absolutely loved it. I really thought it was a sweet little gun to shoot. However, when shooting the ML of a bench and rest, the accuracy degraded after 5 or so shots. The best shot was always the first couple of shots. However, I am leary about having a barrel with no fowling in it, Yet every shot I took with a clean barrel was right on target, and would degrade from there. When I put the gun away until ML season, I ran some bore butter down it, now I'm questionin where my first shot is going to be, I suppose I should shoot it again, and make sure, or is it going to be OK? Any opinions.

A MZ will always be most accurate the first or second shot after cleaning it. Mine is personally best the second shot but for me I found that just shooting a primer through it after cleaning it gives me two really good shots and the next two are close. After 4 shots I HAVE to use the bore blaster. Then I pop off another primer and I am good to go again.

Froggy

have you cleaned you ML good yet? Notice how dirty it was? that is why consistency dwindels with each shot fired. they get so dirty.

and when you take a shot and reload it, you are jamming all of that junk in the barrel down into your powder charge, so it doesn't burn the same.

in a perfect patient world, one would clean the barrel after each shot, making sighting it in the most productive, but slow!

SNS, the action was heating up, but my primo ground is usually only good before the firearm season, it is basically state land and gets hammered for about 3 weeks, the deer won't even come out at night for another month. All I can do with that land is hope that a couple of the bucks that I've been seeing will make it through. I have some private land that I'm going to try and get on but right now there are relatives firearm hunting on their and thier is not a lot of room. I haven't actually put the bow away yet, There is one week between 3A and 3B where maybe a big guy will let down his gaurd.

My main question about the ML was if I should expect the first shot to be off because of the clean barrel. both my shotguns with rifled barrels need a fowling shot before they shoot accurately. If need be I could go out and shoot a round through it to fowl the barrel, but my first shots when "seasoning the barrel" and sighting in were always the best and I just wanted to know if that was normal. I have no problem cleaning the gun after every shot. I cleaned it thoroughly when I got home and cleaned the bore three times at the range.

What kind of muzzleloader do you have?

There is a new powder out that everyone is raving about as it leaves no residue but it only works in some guns and is a little more expensive that 777, Shocky Gold, Pinnacle......

It is called Blackhorn 209 and supposedly is non-corrosive, doesn't require swabbing, and is pretty much the best thing since they started putting beer in bottles.

I haven't tried it yet as I have some Pinnacle I need to shoot up but I will try it after that is gone.

I bought a Remington Genesis, I really, really like the feel of the gun. It shoulders nice and is actually a pleasure to shoot. It feels like a rifle and I know that it will become one of my favorite guns. I am shooting 777, I have heard about the powder you are talking about and I hear it is the real deal. The triple 7 does fowl the gun up pretty good, after about 5 shots the accuracy really went to pot, then I cleaned it and it was right back to zero. For some reason right now, all the stores seem to be dumping the Remington Genesis guns. The ramrod is cheap and the paint is coming off it in numerous places but the rest of the gun is solid and well made. The Hornady SST Sabots really shoot nicely.

I think the Genesis should have no problem with the Blackhorn.

Cabelas has a sale on the Genesis now and they are running about $200. I know someone looking for a good priced muzzleloader and will mention this to him. Where is the paint chipping and what finish do you have on the gun?

The paint is only coming off the ramrod. Its an anodized aluminum rod so there really isn't any paint that will stick to it. the rest of the gun is solid and well built, has a great feel to it, and nice finish. I bought the synthetic stock with the stainless barrel for $200. Now Cabelas has the stainless barrel in camo for the same price with the rebate. Nice little gun, really like it for the most part, but I would assume that all the ramrods will be the same and will lose their paint after jaming it down the barrel for loading and cleaning.