• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel

fish_on

For a real that is cheap price-wise but still quality I would put another plug in for an Abu Garcia Cardnial 100U. I think I have bought them for $20.

I just picked up a Shimano Sahara 750 because it was on sale. I really like that it came with a metal spare spool so I can flip it over to one of my ultra-light open water rods and not have to strip the Fireline Ice off the spool.

I have an Okuma Ignite iT-10 that I like alot. I also have a Pinacle Icelite, Shimano Sedona 500, a couple of Gander reels and a Browning Ultra Light reel that are all good reels. The Gander, Pinacle and Browning I think I paid lees than $15.

I read some good reviews on the Okuma UL 10. Just got it and it's going back Monday. Sloppy as a 5 gallon bucket of warm mayonaise. Wait a minute...I'm thinking of something else...anyway that's the second reel i've bought this fall I dont like. The other is the Shimano AX-ULS. I absolutely can not stand back slop on a reel. I'm sticking with the Ticas, Abu Gar 100U's and i'm replacing that Okuma 10 with a Phlueger Trion GX-7 4520.

Is there a place that you can go and review any of the mentioned reels side by side?

I'm looking at the Tica Cetus 500 line and haven't seen anything different than the number of bearings in each model. I want to know if the drag is the same on each of the 4 reels, LF, GV, SB, SS... If it is why poor more?

Please shed some light on this issue...because before you know it we will be on the ice, and I don't want to be standing there with only the rod in my hands!

Is there a place that you can go and review any of the mentioned reels side by side?

I'm looking at the Tica Cetus 500 line and haven't seen anything different than the number of bearings in each model. I want to know if the drag is the same on each of the 4 reels, LF, GV, SB, SS... If it is why poor more?

Please shed some light on this issue...because before you know it we will be on the ice, and I don't want to be standing there with only the rod in my hands!

That is a good question ... I found their HSOforum and the only difference they list is also the bearings. But they have 3 Cetus 500 modes with 6 bearings (SS,SE,SB). Must be a difference between these 6 bearing models (besides price), but can't find it described, not even on their HSOforum.

they have 3 Cetus 500 modes with 6 bearings (SS,SE,SB). Must be a difference between these 6 bearing models (besides price), but can't find it described, not even on their HSOforum.

SS has spool with conk holes and a cheapo plastic spare

SB has spool without conk holes and a cheapo plastic spare

SE (signature edition) has spool without conk holes and a nice aluminum spare - it has an acid etched trout on it.

Gander Guide 5. One thing that you always have to watch is the drag systems. I am always out in the elements fishing and some of my Pinnacles and Diawas don't like to be smooth right out of the gate (they are slow to release...like they are going through thick honey). I have never had this problem with the Guide products. You can't beat Gander's prices either. I bought 5 reels a few years back for $15 a piece. They often go on sale for $20.

Originally Posted By: NCLaker
they have 3 Cetus 500 modes with 6 bearings (SS,SE,SB). Must be a difference between these 6 bearing models (besides price), but can't find it described, not even on their HSOforum.

SS has spool with conk holes and a cheapo plastic spare

SB has spool without conk holes and a cheapo plastic spare

SE (signature edition) has spool without conk holes and a nice aluminum spare - it has an acid etched trout on it.

Fishwater...

You mentioned a couple of the differences associated to the top end models offered by Tica, are the drag systems different on each of the models?

I was looking at the mid range GV and can't see anything mentioned concerning the drag.

What/Where is your source of information? I would love to read up un some of the other differences!

Many of the smallest reels have drags operating at about 3-4 lbs. The Shimano 750's might have drags at 7 lbs. Many reels from the same manufacture share the same drag as it's cheaper to duplicate it in mass. Only the most expensive reels will come with better drags that has a much smoother drag curve.