• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel

fish_on

I use tica's and shimano saros in the winter.....One note to slipperybob, I have used a stella in the winter and hated it. I was not impressed...Thought it was just a bad one so me and another guy tried his other of 2 brand new ones and it also under performed.

The Silstar Tiny 20 was recommended to me for a light action rod. Not sure for all around. Tica has some nice ice reels. Some of the small Abu Garcia reels may be perfect for an all around reel. Let us know what you decide! smile

I use tica's and shimano saros in the winter.....One note to slipperybob, I have used a stella in the winter and hated it. I was not impressed...Thought it was just a bad one so me and another guy tried his other of 2 brand new ones and it also under performed.

Thanks for the tidbit. I find it easy to agree that the Stella 1000 is not a cold weather performer. Even I don't get the best use out of my Sustain 1000's. About the only time I benefit is from a big fish or I'm heavy jigging. The Stradics and Sahara's have been my main performers. Maybe less parts (ball bearings) and having less grease and oil allows them to operate more efficiently. Anyway, I'm going to try with the new Citica's this winter.

I prefer to use my tica's or a cheaper shimano (sahara, sonora) cause I usually completely clean out the oil and grease from the reels for the winter. It reduces shelf life but there is nothing in the reel to freeze or gum up when it gets cold.

The best real for cheap? Easy, the cabelas fish eagle. The best reel I have used for ice fishing hands down. It's only $30.

I'm pretty sure that the cabela's fish eagle is identical to the pflueger 4520gx reel, except the 4520 has more bearings and can be had for cheaper if you shop around.

Ive used Shimanos, Ticas and Plfuegers.You cant go wrong with all three of these.I have 2 trions and 1 president,3 Ticas and several Shimanos,all have smooth drag systems and havent givin me any issues at all.All are in the 30-60 dollar price range.