Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish_on

Reel

38 posts in this topic

I am looking to get new reels for all of my rods. I am a believer in having one reel (same reel for all rods). What does everyone in here use? What is the best no matter the cost? What is the best "cheap" reel?

If you do a search you will find this is a highly contested question.Everyone has a fav. Tica is what I've got on most of my rods.

edit: had to change as I didn't put 2+2 together and realize this is ice fishing forum smile

I like the Abu 100s.

Infisherman featured somethign called "Nice Ice Reels". They seem like pretty good reels and priced around 20$.

Abu Garcia Cardinal 100 is on every rod of mine. They've treated me very well. No problems at all.

Some of the gander guide series ice reels are nice aand they are fairly cheap...cant think of any names right now

I just got a Tica off that one HSOforum that starts with that one particular letter. I was impressed at the smoothness and the price was cheap. Comparable to any of the reels mentioned here.

Best cheap reel: Shakespeare

No matter cost - For about $500+ Stella 1000's no spare spool though.

next best choice - Sustains 1000's w spare spool.

I use tica's and shimano saros in the winter.....One note to slipperybob, I have used a stella in the winter and hated it. I was not impressed...Thought it was just a bad one so me and another guy tried his other of 2 brand new ones and it also under performed.

The Silstar Tiny 20 was recommended to me for a light action rod. Not sure for all around. Tica has some nice ice reels. Some of the small Abu Garcia reels may be perfect for an all around reel. Let us know what you decide! smile

I haven't used them, but I have played around with and may buy some. The GM Guides Series 5, and the Okuma Hardstone. Both seem really smooth and come in at $30.

I use tica's and shimano saros in the winter.....One note to slipperybob, I have used a stella in the winter and hated it. I was not impressed...Thought it was just a bad one so me and another guy tried his other of 2 brand new ones and it also under performed.

Thanks for the tidbit. I find it easy to agree that the Stella 1000 is not a cold weather performer. Even I don't get the best use out of my Sustain 1000's. About the only time I benefit is from a big fish or I'm heavy jigging. The Stradics and Sahara's have been my main performers. Maybe less parts (ball bearings) and having less grease and oil allows them to operate more efficiently. Anyway, I'm going to try with the new Citica's this winter.

I prefer to use my tica's or a cheaper shimano (sahara, sonora) cause I usually completely clean out the oil and grease from the reels for the winter. It reduces shelf life but there is nothing in the reel to freeze or gum up when it gets cold.

I'm a big Tica person. I also have a sonora that does awesome. My next ice set-ups with have Tica's.

If you look back you will see this is a frequent question on here.

The best real for cheap? Easy, the cabelas fish eagle. The best reel I have used for ice fishing hands down. It's only $30.

The best real for cheap? Easy, the cabelas fish eagle. The best reel I have used for ice fishing hands down. It's only $30.

I'm pretty sure that the cabela's fish eagle is identical to the pflueger 4520gx reel, except the 4520 has more bearings and can be had for cheaper if you shop around.

That would be an even better option then if you can get it for less than $30 bucks.

They do have good spinning reels, but I haven't had good luck with their baitcasters.

I've really liked the Okuma iT-10. Just added another one to the arsenal last week.

So anyway, I've got my Citica 200E's spooled up with 6# line. The worst thing about this is, they nearly take up 300 yrds of line.

Sure wish I have a shallow spool for these things. Maybe next year or so there will be a jiggin spool available.

Im a big fan of Pflueger reels. For 30$ you cant go wrong with a Trion Gx20 for a true small reel. Slightly bigger would be the Gx25...

Ive used Shimanos, Ticas and Plfuegers.You cant go wrong with all three of these.I have 2 trions and 1 president,3 Ticas and several Shimanos,all have smooth drag systems and havent givin me any issues at all.All are in the 30-60 dollar price range.