Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bhs91

rubbed raw

8 posts in this topic

Just got back from 2 days of hunting ditches in Iowa. My Lab's 2 front legs, on the inside part, are rub raw (about the size of a quarter), right down to the skin. What is the best way to help heal this and is there anyway to prevent it in the future.

Thanks,

BHS

This happens to my weim all the time. I've used neosporin sp? And udder balm. The best way to prevent it I have found is to by a cheap tight fitting shirt. I used a cheap knockoff of under armor warm gear. I slip that on my dog under a neoprene vest or by itself if it is really warm! Hope this helps!

Honestly, I would say the best way to prevent this is run your dog more in the off season. Not saying I do this very well either, but it is probably the best way to prevent it.

I just got back from pheasant hunting in some thick cattails, and my dogs eyes are so red, bald and swollen she can hardly open them. is time the only cure for this or is there something i can do to help her now, or better yet, prevent it?

Flush with sterile saline when you get home from the days hunt.

If anyone has a way to prevent this, I'm sure there a lot of dogs that would appreciate it. My older dog has these issues after hunting. We also wash his eyes with saline and rub some antibiotic cream on the outside of his eyes where he is rubbed pretty raw.

Poor dog looks pretty homely for the week following the hunt.

I think 2dagills said it best, get your dog out more in the off season is probably the best way to prevent it