• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

04 Silevrado Speedo?

I have and 04 Silverado 2500 that all of a sudden the speedo work s intermittently. It is very annoying and not too safe. Any Ideas? I know a while back there was some discussion about the entire dash plate needing to be replaced under a recall, but couldnt find the info. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am guessing that if this has to be chased electrically it would be a spendy little fix??

If there are no other symptoms than it is very possible that it is the speedo head. It can't hurt to give the dealer a jingle and see what they say. I know that there is an issue with the ignition switches that will cause everything on the instrument cluster to go dead intermittently but it sounds like that is not your case.

My cluster went out at around 40k and out of warranty, did the same thing though, stuck at 120 mph. Paid for it out of my own pocket but did get a letter in the mail from GM stating this recall and if already had work done to the cluster they would reimburse, and the did, all I had to do was send them a photocopy of the work invoice, I was shocked. Me personally, I have had a lot of "nickel and dime" problems with my 2004 Sierra, front wheel bearing, intermediate steering shaft, output shaft seal, starter, slip yoke,and I don't even drive the truck hard at all. 70k on the truck, kind of disappointed.

I just had my dash replaced this summer when I had 85K on it. I just brought it to the dealer and they covered it. I was surprised to get the recall letter and it stated they only covered them up to 70K.

I'm getting ready to do the intermediate shaft soon. Might as well put in a new fuel pressure regulator too.

my dad has the same problem on his 2005 chev 2500hd. i guess that was a big problem in 04-05, the whole guage cluster needs to be replaced. our price was $400! he just leaves his TOM TOM in the truck and uses that as his speedo since all the out guages work fine.

The defective part is called the Instrument Panel Cluster(IPC) and is a very common problem with GM's. At a repair shop in the cities it usually runs about $700 to repair. FYI, if you try to replace it yourself...you will have to program it too. Programming the IPC requires the proper Scan Tool equiptment.

If you are out of warranty, the place I take them to in Minneapolis will do a complete cluster repair that will renew all the gauges, speedo and tach for 210 plus tax. You will get back the same cluster you bring in so mileages will be ok and it will not need programming. I've used them a few times without any problems.

Can anyone give me the contact info to have my IPC repaired? Chev dealer wants $375 for exchange and re-program.

My oil pressure gauge is out as well as several backlights.

How about a junkyard IPC? I dont care about getting it re-programmed...I just want to see how much oil pressure I have and see how fast I'm going at night! wing at frontiernet dot net

I have the same speedo problem with my o4 Silverado. 2 winters ago, I watched my oil pressure gauge bottom out. I checked everything out, turned it on again, and everything was fine. When I returned from my ice fishing trip, I brought it, being it was still under my extended warranty plan (actually through a Ford Dealership) they played around with it, trouble shot it, and couldn’t find anything wrong. At first they didn’t believe me, but luckily I showed them multiple pictures off my cell phone, traveling down the road at 60-65 MPH and NO OIL PRESSURE. They brought it over the Chevy dealership to check and they couldn’t find anything wrong either. Nor could the oil pressure gauge get to repeat itself. And I didn't have any issues since.

Well this last December, actually Xmas weekend. The speedometer stuck on 60 MPH when I stopped. I did some online research and read up on this 70K warranty. When I returned back into town, I brought it over to Gilland Chev and chatted with the service Manager… said he couldn’t touch it being I now have 95K on it. He said if I was @ 85K he’d think about it. He quoted me for a new one all said and done, $500. So I hopped online and have been emailing Chevrolet Cooperate office. Explaining to them, they obviously knew there was a problem being the warranty was extended, so for those that didn’t fall within that range are going to be S O L, and it was matter of time before they all go out. I’m starting to get somewhere, in getting some answers, hoping they will cover it fully. I too have been using my GPS for MPH readings.