• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting this weekend.

So i pull up to a slough about 6 am and no one is there. Im thinking great because i did my scouting and noticed about 2 doze mallards in there the night before. I get out and go to the slough. I am hunting the open water to the east and there is some open water to the west about 25 yards from me on the other side of the reeds. i get out there and setup by 630. By 730am i have 2 mallards and notice that a truck pulls up next to mine and they start checking me out. when they are eyeing me up with the binos i get another mallard. They sit up there and look like they are just talking to each other and about 8am they starting walking down to the other open water spot about 25 yards from me. At this time i am thinking to myself boy i hope a flock of mallards dont come in when they are walking the 100 yards to that spot. Well no longer then 2 minutes later a flock of about 2 dozens northern mallards are heading my way. I look at the mallards then at the young kids walking my way and think there is no way this is going to happen. The mallards start swinging in and they dont care about those kids walking in. they get about 30 yards away and they i hear "god i hate you chris" then "Oh Sh** there are ducks" then about 8 gun shots. No ducks dropped. At this point i am steaming mad. I pick up my spread and head to the truck. I didnt go out and yell at them or anything bc i dont like the thought of yelling at someone i dont know with a gun. i get to my truck and drive off. I would have had no problem with somone else hunting in that water if they would have been there and setup before shooting hours. That spot was my second choice that morning bc someone else was at the other spot i wanted to go to. i just wish people had more consideration for other. If you cant get out there before shooting hours dont go to a place where others are after the shooting has started.

Public land is public land...

If they were young guys who maybe needed some mentoring, and if the spot is really as small as you say, you could have also maybe offered to have them hunt the same spot as you and share the spot instead of competing for birds.

That is the most frustrating thing to deal with when duck hunting. I have guys do that where I hunt but they think it is ok to sit out in the wild rice 70 yards in front of you and flare ducks or skybust. Although, one thing I would like to say is don't generalize young hunters all the same way. My brother and I are in our early twenties and we are the most ethical and usually most successful hunters in our area. We don't skybust, shoot early, shoot over our limit or break any other laws for that matter. We were lucky enough to be brought up by knowledgable ethical hunters. I have seen people my age as well as elders who do some unexcusable things usually just because they don't know better. I encourage you to approach them in a mature manner and just tell them what they are doing wrong. If they are jerk-baits at that point there isn't much you can do. The best approach is to get your cool and approach them and offer some friendly advise in a friendly manner. Most people will feel embarassed and apologize. I really wish the regs would have a section on hunter ethics that has skybusting, hunting distances to other parties, as well as other common faults uneducated hunters are ignorant about.

Right On! Rainfeathers! Just for safety's sake you would think the DNR would put something in the lawbook stating safe distances between hunters and not just waterfowl hunting, but all hunting! I'll try to talk to MWA about lobbying the DNR for such action!

Anybody that set ups within 100 yards of you is what we would call getting 3rd based and it SUCKS!!!

I really think 3rd basing somewhat is bulls@#$ regardless of public water or not.

It's about being considerate to others. How does that old saying go? Something about "do unto others".

Be considerate people, just be considerate. That is all we can ask of one another.