• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice house frame tubing thickness?

Moe Szyslak

Use 11 gauge wall tubing (about 1/8"). It's more than strong enough, easy to weld, and fairly light in weight. You buy steel by the pound and it is at historically high prices now. Using 3/16 wall is just wasting money.

Moe, I used 2"x5"x11 gauge on the frame for my 6.5'X16'. I don't think the wall thickness of the frame material would have a bearing on it, but, I do have a slight issue with twisting in the back of the house, I have the double doors in the rear, allowing the back end to rack slightly, I've learned that I can counter act that with blocks of wood and the lift winches when I'm setting up on the lake. Phred52

I used channel iron on my first house I built thing twisted back and forth till the day i sold it tubing is the only way to go I also ran a square tubing down the middle of the house made a huge difference.