• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Painting Lures for Rookies

bonefish

What is the best way to get started in painting lures? My neighbor just bought a new lathe that I can use, and I'd like to make a few topwater muskie baits this winter. I know airbrush is the preferred method, but I don't want to invest in something like that unless I know I'll be using it enough. Are there tricks/ techniques with spray paint that can be as effective?

Hey Bonefish, I must warn you that lure making is very addicting. The is no 12 step program for this type of madness.

Google lure making, there are a few sites that are very good and can give you lots of info. I'd post one but I don't know if it's allowed. As for spray paint, there is a company that makes different spray heads for cans. This will allow for more control in your painting. Airbrushing is still the way to go. A cheap setup can cost you as little as $25.

yep. best to just search for info. on the net. you'd be surprised how much is there. you'll find a cheap airbrush will be suggested alot. bassn. wheres those heads you mentioned? it's ok to give names of a company just not web addresses. i found them at the hobby shop.

I appreciate and understand the addiction warnings. Before kids I was very active in fly tying when I lived near trout streams in Wisconsin. A few rubbermaid tubs in our storage room are now dedicated to dead critter parts that may be used at a later date. So I know what you are describing!

I didn't realize that there were airbrushes that were that inexpensive. Every kit that I've seen has been $150 or more. Is there a brand or line of products that are better suited for entry level?

If your'e looking at setting up an airbrush consider the following:

1. A good airbrush for painting lures will be a double action unit in the $50 to $70 dollar range. I have a Badger "Anthem" that is a beautiful double action brush, and a Badger "200" single action brush that I used for years. A web search for "airbrush supplies" will turn up the suppliers. The double action is well worth the extra money. There are several websites with lots of them to choose from. Get the double action unit because you can vary the spray width as you paint.

2. You will need compressed air. If you don't have a compressor, consider one of the low buck ones from Menards, etc. I have one that cost $60.00 and it is perfect for the application. They will have other uses as well to justify the cost.

3. You will need to get familiar with a paint system that works for spraying through the airbrush. Paint can get expensive when you start buying lots of colors. To save $ on startup, try the Testors model paints thinned to spray consistancy.

Check with Badger. They have brushes on sale once and a while. I got a badger 100g and a 360 for $20 and $30 each. Sweet deal. I agree with hydro, get a cheap compresser, add paint and your in business. Check you-tube, they have alot of airbrush and rattle can tips too. You can use craft store paint from wally world .99 for a 4 once bottle. You just need to thin and strain it. I would sugest using Createx paint. Cost more but it's ready to go. Just start painting. Hobby Lobby has it.

Forgot to add.I picked up a bottom feed gun from Harbor Freight. It came with everything needed except the air compressor and paint for $19. After I bought it they went on sale for $12 !!!!

you can just use a spare tire filled with air if you want, lol. or a 5000 lb. compressor. does'nt matter as long as you have a regulator to adjust your air flow and a water/oil separater. as far as connecters. most airbrushes come with adapters that fit your chuck/key or are sold separately next to them.