• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sleeper houses & walleyes.

slick2526

i want to go on a walleye fishing trip this winter in MN and will be renting a sleeper. If you were going mainly after walleyes were would you go?

I have been looking at URL because I have heard the walleye fishing has been excellent on the lake this year and their still is the chance to hooking into some nice crappies.

My 2nd choice would be LOTW because I hear the walleye fishing is is descent all time.

Is their any where else you would go in MN as your first choice if you were strictly going after walters?

my 1st choice: mille lacs, as it's close to home.

2nd: URL, I have heard it's good but have never had the chance yet.

3rd: LOTW,I have fished mainly day trips from Sportsmans, I have been told, that many of the guys in sleeper catch more pout than walleyes.

My experiences reflect the other posts. At LOTW I have caught more fish (walleyes plus sauger) but it was always a sunup to sundown bite. But I like staying in a sleeper because you are there right away in the morning and can fish until they stop at night. At URL they can bite any time of the day or night. I have been to LOTW around 8 times and URL twice. I have always caught some fish.

You will have fun with either choice smile

FishingPops

URL in my opinion has larger walleyes on average than LOTW. At times it can be a challenge to get your limit of eyes under 17 inches. LOTW right now gives you a better chance for a trophy walleye. Give URL 5 more years and it will have great trophy potential.

URL has a night bite, great at times. After sundown everyone comes off LOTW.

For the overall walleye action I would say LOTW you will almost always have consistent action(in my experience) even though it is only during the day hours. The red lake bite can be iffy at times and alot of the time fish stop bitting about an hour after dark so the night bite only has so much of a draw for me. Either way I promise you will have some great ice fishing!