Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmeyer

Portrait Practice

16 posts in this topic

I was working with some lighting today and my daughter was nice enough to model for me.

Comments welcome.

105738726.jpg

I really like the composition and the depth of field, but it appears a little dark on my monitor. Nice work.

I like the shot Mike, it might be a tad dark but that really is a personal preference that in PP could change. Sometimes its hard when you are not doing the PP to know what might or might not work on a shot, so I will go with I like it this way. Good work!

It's a nice moody image, Mike, and I like the PP work to soften the edges.

I think it looks just right! I tend to like photos a little darker, and I think this one is spot on!

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the kind words. I hope to work on more portrait photography over the winter. It's something that I really would like to do more of but right now I don't like it because I'm not comfortable at all doing it. Hopefully I'll get more comfortable as I go along.

I love it just the way it is. I would be very happy to have taken that shot. Would you mind sharing lens and settings info?

Birdsong, the exif on his photo is intact. Anyway, he's Nikonian. wink That is a sweet shot.

Boy, I can't wait to see what shows up on here when you get comfortable.

Birdsong here are the basics just in case you are like I was 3 days ago and didn't have an exif reader.

# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/60 second = 0.01667 second

# Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 8/1 = F8

# ISO Speed Ratings = 200

# Original Date/Time = 2008:11:09 17:38:25

# Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 5906891/1000000

Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/60 second

# Aperture Value (APEX) = 6/1

Aperture = F8

# Flash = Flash fired, auto mode, return light not detected

# Focal Length = 2000/10 mm = 200 mm

Thanks for posting that Yak and thanks for the compliment. In addition to the info that was posted, I was using a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens with an off camera SB800 flash camera left and a white reflector camera right.

As a side note, I was happy to read in a magazine I just bought that the 70-200mm f2.8 is, according to experts, the best portrait lens. I know that several of the experts here also use it. I'm happy about that but not nearly as happy as my wife since I don't have to by a new lens. grin

I agree with the experts Mike, the 70-200/2.8 is hands down the best portrait lens for me smilesmilesmile I will still not use that as an excuse why I need another lens though, there is always a better lens that must be purchased! grin

There is no such thing as the "best" portrait lens. I use my 100 f2.8 and 17-40 f4L as often as the 70-200 f2.8L for portraits. The 70-200 f2.8 of any make is a pretty darn good one, though, in quite a lot of situations. gringringrin

There is no such thing as the "best" portrait lens. I use my 100 f2.8 and 17-40 f4L as often as the 70-200 f2.8L for portraits. The 70-200 f2.8 of any make is a pretty darn good one, though, in quite a lot of situations. gringringrin

Sure there is Steve, the one that works the best for you smile I shot over 2,000 portraits in just the last two months alone and I used one lens. So for my use its the "best". Others as always will have different ideas on what works best for them and their uses. I edited my above post to clarify that. smile

You just made my point for me, Dan, but I was responding just a much to the statement in Mike's post about about experts in a magazine calling the 70-200 the best portrait lens. smilesmilesmile

Thanks mmeyer and yakfisher for your information. Someday I will be able to post shots like that.