• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brother Finally Connected!!

Saturday mornin, a day after his 28th birthday, my brother Ben finally harvested a respectable buck. I'll let him tell the play by play when he is bored at work tomorrow, and share his ups/downs of opening morning.

I have attached two pics of his 12 point buck!

Congratulations again bro!

benstwelvecl0.jpg

benstwelve2yw1.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics bro. I think I'm still on cloud nine. This is the biggest buck I've ever taken and like Kyle said a day after my 28th B-day.

To the story I picked up my mom to go hunting in the am on sat and wanted to set up on a field road that had standing corn on both sides and it led up to a 10 acre woods. I had 190 pics on the trail cam in the first 6 days of November in this spot. So we are getting set up when I see head lights coming down the road. I was thinkin not this s!*t again. So i walk up there are 4 guys jump out of this truck and say they got permission from my great aunt on friday afternoon and went in and hung 3 tree stands in the woods. Needless to say I was [PoorWordUsage]. I told them who I was and I was trying to get my mom her first deer ever!! Thinking they would show some respect and maybe come back and hunt maybe mid morning. NOPE jsut keeping getting dressed and walk up to and sit in the woods. Now i'm really [PoorWordUsage]. So i get mom and move to a different spot by this time almost day break.

We are chillin there when mom taps me on the shoulder and says"DEER. DEER, on the hill" yep a doe running over the hill our way and i'm telling mom to get ready.. WAIT WAIT little closer and then.... the deer took a right turn into some standing corn. I felt bad. the shot would have been about 100 yards and just wanted it to be closer for her. I could tell her blood was pumping. So I tell her to sit tight and I'm going to walk this fenceline back to her. I start up the fenceline about half way there I saw something move.. a DEER and then another but instead of running to mom they went and ran across the road and up to the woods where the guys were and Wham!! Wham!!. Not sure if they got them. but I think my head was about ready to explode..

By this time we get back to Grandpas and meet up with dad(just got off work) and my cousin Travis. It about 930 and very windy and snowing. Thinking time to go home and take a nap called the wife told her i was on my way home. But for some reason I had to drive around our section. i take a right out of grandpas and go about 1/2 mile and look into a 100 acre crp/swampy area and see a deer pop out of some stick weed. I hit the breaks and pull over ,grab the binos and "Holy S!$t its a buck!!! I whip around and everyone else follows.

We get on the south side of this crp and watch the buck chase a doe back and forth through the grass and all we could see was his head and antlers. We call the land owner and get permission to hunt it because they are in there 60's and weren't going to walk in that grass. I post mom and Travis on south end of grass and (WInd is out of the NW) and i slipped to the east side along the road and kinda of move slowly and walk towards the north and the west. Finally get to an opening and look fo r the buck and see his antlers in the grass. Hes bedded down. As I'm watching him here comes a fawn running fromt he north to south about 30 yards in front of me and then a little buck. I let them go and decide screw it I can't see him anyomre time to go after him. i get to where i thought he was and look to my left and hes looking right at me can't be more that 25 yards I pull up the gun....WHAM.. takes of running...WHAM.. still going...WHAM... i hear a crash into some saplings and then my cousin shoots twice. I thinkin no way i missed I start swearing and then walk into the little trees and there he lays dead....He has 5 inch bases...16 1/2 " spread...21 inch main beams.. longest tine is 7" or so.. Huge body. field dressed over 200lbs.. I wish mom would have got him but I'll take him.. I will says thanks to my brother for the golden horse shoe this year.

Ben,

That's a great buck. You are quite lucky because it was almost taken out by my better half a week and a half ago. Jolene said he looked pretty cocky trotting across the road. Better you than her car. Great pics of the family. Hopefully Jo's (your mom) luck will improve. Well congrats and see you around.