• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

law of the land

paul pachowicz

Last thursday my son shot a nice buck at ripley with his bow

the shot was back too far we left it for three hours.normally would have left it longer but with time restrictions we couldn't.we jumped it about 80 yards from where he shot it.we kept trailing it,most of the time he was no more than 80 yards in front of us but we could not close the gap to finish him off.the more we pushed the better the blood trail.(most of the trailing was along the river so we could see that far)after about 2 miles we were starting to close the distance. the deer was about out of blood.he went by another hunter who put an arrow through both lungs,finishing him off.when we got to the deer he was standing over it and said it was our deer, he was just doing the right thing.i honestly think we would have had him shortly but am very grateful this fine sportsman made the shot.the buck was a 201 pound eight point.the first bow buck for my son.thanks again to the man for helping us out

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Luckey not a huge rack just a nice chocolate color smaller eight only about a 14" spread longest tines is about 8"

only about 2" between the main beams in front.I'm guessing about 110-115"

Last year, my son who was 10 at the time, was out for his first hunt. Early in the morning we heard a bunch of shooting. Around noon him and I were walking around and came across a nice doe that was laying down and bleeding. I let him take the shot to put the doe down. About then another hunter came along and said he had wounded a doe earlier in the morning. My son never once questioned that the deer belonged to the other guy. I was proud of my son. At the same time, I didn't want his first deer to be someone else's mistake. As we left the other guy he mentioned that there might be another one or two wounded deer in the woods that he took shots at that morning. "my gun's not shooting straight this year". My son and I had a good conversation about what it means to be a sportsman and having enough respect for the deer to ensure quick clean kills. My son never did get a deer last year. We both have high hopes for this year.

Last year, my son who was 10 at the time, was out for his first hunt. Early in the morning we heard a bunch of shooting. Around noon him and I were walking around and came across a nice doe that was laying down and bleeding. I let him take the shot to put the doe down. About then another hunter came along and said he had wounded a doe earlier in the morning. My son never once questioned that the deer belonged to the other guy. I was proud of my son. At the same time, I didn't want his first deer to be someone else's mistake. As we left the other guy he mentioned that there might be another one or two wounded deer in the woods that he took shots at that morning. "my gun's not shooting straight this year". My son and I had a good conversation about what it means to be a sportsman and having enough respect for the deer to ensure quick clean kills. My son never did get a deer last year. We both have high hopes for this year.

While your son never did get his deer last year, it sounds to me like he got a whole lot more. If more sons had dads like you there might be alot fewer idiots in the woods.

Originally Posted By: Crappyman

While your son never did get his deer last year, it sounds to me like he got a whole lot more. If more sons had dads like you there might be alot fewer idiots in the woods.

RIGHT O!

personally i have never had the problem but I think I would just ask that the person who shot it before me to come back at night to retrieve the deer so it would keep the noise down while i am hunting and not to spook the deer anymore just so the neighbors keep keeping an eye on our land and stands while we arnt there

You guys are horrible. Espicially neighbor guy. Everyone wnats to make a perfect kill shot all the time but things happen. If a wounded deer were to stumble on my property, and the person made all effort to retrive this deer, You bet I will give it to them...especially if they trampled through two swamps. That tells me their ethical (hopefully). Charecter of the hunter would play as well. Young kid...they can have it no- matter how big the buck is or how bad the placement was, nothing would be worse for that kid then to take his deer. However, if the hunter was rambling his mouth and cocky about it, and wasn't worried about my life safety, I keep it. In MN, you must make all effort to contact land owner before crossing thier property...