• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dear Santa:

zamboni

Riveron called it an illegal forward pass because he realized that it wasn’t intentional grounding. Under Rule 8, Section 3, Article 1 of the 2008 Official Playing Rules, intentional grounding would have occurred if there had not been a “realistic chance” of completing the pass, or if the ball had not landed “near or beyond” the line of scrimmage. (Rodgers clearly was out of the pocket, which is a prerequisite to avoiding a grounding call by throwing the ball “near or beyond” the line of scrimmage, regardless of whether a receiver is in the area.)

We base our conclusion in this regard on in-game images of Packers coach Mike McCarthy’s argument with the officials, which images strongly suggested that the decision resulted from the unconventional Favre-esque throwing motion that Rodgers had used. (McCarthy confirmed this after the game: “The interpretation that I was given was that it was an unnatural throwing motion so with that decision it was a safety.”)

It clearly wasn’t a “natural” throwing motion; but the rules don’t require a pass to be thrown with a “natural” motion. Under Rule 8, Section 1, Article 1, a legal forward pass is any pass (including an attempt to fumble forward) made from behind the line of scrimmage, if the ball hasn’t moved beyond the line of scrimmage and then returned behind it. An illegal forward pass is “[a]ny other forward pass.”

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT
No, that IS the rule.

you are wrong. i posted the actual rules from the NFL

No, you posted from the digest of rules, which isn't the official NFL rule book.

The Digest of Rules is like the Official NFL Rules for Dummies....summarized and made easier to read for fans and press.

http://ballhype.com/video/nfl_week_10_2008_green_bay_packers_aaron_rodgers/

not only can you see he needs to get to the midway point of the vikings "k" in the endzone and throws it when his feet are at the tip of the "k" the ball actually lands at the 7 1/2 yard line and the LOS is the 10. so he didn't get the ball to the 10 or even near it, he was also inside the tacklebox by by a little under a yard.

bad call calling it an illegal forward pass, good call resulting in what it should have been, a safety.

Come on guys, Gb won the last 5, your secondary is awesome, and you have a quality QB for your future....you cheezey heads should be happy, get over this >_<.

Ps, Dear Santa, I would like a quality ice fising rod, TB perferd, a quality ice shelter, ice gator drill and a nice snowmobile, so i can have more fun on the ice than spend misreble Sundays watching the vikings play. OO...the AP jersey i asked for last year isn't here yet...what giveS?