• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dear Santa:

zamboni

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Packers secondary made some great plays. They do lead the league in INT's returned for TD's.

Special teams are a huge part of winning & losing football games as well. It's ridiculous to say "If they didn't return that punt for a TD...or If they didn't return that INT for a TD."

The Packers secondary is outstanding but what strikes me as funny is you claimed the that all the Vikings miscues that kept you in the game are part of the winning and losing and shouldn't be discouted as fortunate. I agree, but why then did you then post a few weeks back when New Orleans kept giving the Vikes the ball we were lucky and did not deserve to be in that game?

Your post about that game is pasted here:

How many major breaks did the purple get the whole game???

Harvey Lee said it best in his post...N.O gave the win to the Vikes. They were baaad. He's not looking at the game thru purple goggles.

What color glasses are you looking through?

I said in the PACK vs. VIKES link that MN deserved to win that game. They outplayed the Pack in the running game & the D-line was getting tons of pressure on Rodgers. The Saints did beat themsleves....they gave the ball away. Forcing a turnover and getting a gift are two different things.

There's a difference between beating yourself and actually losing a game. If a runningback fumbles because of an outstanding hit (credit the defense)...if he simply drops the ball on his own that's giving the ball away. If a receiver catches a ball and gets rocked by a D-Back causing him to fumble (credit the defense)..if it bounces of his hands and gets intercepted that's giving the ball away. MN created those two safeties....I give them credit. GB made plays on the punt & INT returns for TD's. AP had an outstanding game. Each week there are teams that win and they didn't deserve to because the other team beat themselves. New Orleans clearly gave the game to the Vikings. If you think the Vikings outplayed N.O you're crazy! crazy

I do not think the Vikes outplayed New Orleans but to use your thinking, causing a fumble, making a tumbling catch on a bobbled ball and blocking a field goal all should be credited to the defense and should have been in the New Orleans game. The Pack's defense deserves credit, but the 3 picks were not taken from the recievers hands, they were not because of pressure and they were not spectacular plays. They were thrown inaccurately into the numbers of the defensive players who do deserve credit for being around the ball but in every case if the throw is accurate it is a completion not a pick.

We agree on 90% of what we are saying. I just don't see a difference in a juggle ball that falls into a defenders arms for a pick (Greenway in NO) and a Int that is thrown into the numbers of the defender (Collins yesterday), a punt return due to poor tackling (Vikes coverage unit yesterday with Blackmon) or a blocked field goal due to poor protection (Vikes vs. NO). Both teams should get credit for all those plays. You take advantage of mistakes. In both cases a mistake prone offense gave a the other team a chance to be in a game it had no right being in you just happen to think your defense gets credit for similar plays you won't give the Vikes credit for. That is the only thing we don't agree on but it made me question your objectiveness.

Originally Posted By: zamboni
Since when can anyone, especially the QB throw the ball forward underhand?? When it is done in the endzone, it is a safety, get a rulebook out. He threw it underhand, and you guys are complaining about it, unreal.

A forward pass is a forward pass. It doesn't have to be a conventional overhand throw.

Dude, an underhand forward pass is ILLEGAL in the NFL, and I think pretty much any football league. Thats why underhand pitches to RBs must be made backward, if they are done forward- it is ILLEGAL.

Dude, it was not an illegal pass.

There is a good analysis on profootballtalk you should read. It pretty much says the refs cost the Packers the game due to that call.

As one commenter has pointed out, Riveron tried to base the call on Rodgers’ intent. In so doing, Riveron ignored the rules. For a first-year referee who surely hopes to stick around much longer than that, this was worse that simply blowing a call. Riveron placed his own beliefs above the plain terms of the rule book.

Under Rule 8, Section 1, Article 1, a legal forward pass is any pass (including an attempt to fumble forward) made from behind the line of scrimmage, if the ball hasn’t moved beyond the line of scrimmage and then returned behind it. An illegal forward pass is “[a]ny other forward pass.”

(The official rules also permit a quarterback who’s outside the pocket to throw the ball to an area away from any receiver, as long as the ball lands “near or beyond” the line of scrimmage. And contrary to what folks might be finding elsewhere via Google, the official rules use the term “near or beyond” when describing what a quarterback who’s outside the pocket must do to avoid intentional grounding.)

The question is whether it was intentional grounding; since Riveron didn’t call it intentional grounding, we can only assume that he and his crew decided that it wasn’t.

LMITOUT he wasn't outside the pocket. He has to be outside of where the tight end would line-up In this case it wasn't even close.

NFL: Rule and what Rogers was guilty of.

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

Lmitout, take off the cheesehead glasses, stop drinking that sour lime Kool-aid and see that regardless it was a safety, maybe a questionable forward pass, but it was intentional grounding! Watch the play, and tell me who Rodgers was intending to pass it to? He was getting rid of the ball so he wouldnt get sacked!

If you take the replay fram by frame and slow it down it is EASY to see...

1. He was still inside the tackle box when he is going to the ground (the tacklebox is not the hash marks)

2. the ball lands 5 yards from the reciever; but

3. the ball did not make it past the LOS

here are the intentional grounding rules:

1. Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.

2. Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

3. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

so under desperation he threw a pass that did not make it to the LOS. had the ball went a yard further it wouldn't have been a safety.

so it shouldn't have been an "illegal forward pass" but it absolutely was intentional grounding.

game over

I would like a GPS for Christmas this year. I look completely lost on the field, which I usually am. If cost is a factor, I can split it with you, I just signed a HUGE contract, but I promise, I have been a real good boy this year.

Thanks!!

Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers has a rating of 93.3% which is 4th in the NFL. He has thrown for 2,124 yds (8th in the NFL). 13 TD's 5 Int's

For a first year starter he hardly looks lost. GB fans have a QB for the future....how about the purple????

badger, its likely because of one game he wrote that. He's stupid to think that Rodgers isn't a quality player. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Granted it helps to have amazing receivers, but he is playing like a vet (outside of getting beat up on sunday). Your only concern is health, but after the pounding he took, perhaps he's tougher than people credit him for.

You'd gloat a bit too if your team narrowly avoided a 6 game losing streak which would have been the longest against the pack since the vikings first 3 years in existance. thats more what he was going for i'm assuming

Dear Santa:

Please give Vikings' fans a High Definition TV this Christmas. They are having a tough time watching and understanding the football games on Sunday on the 20" Magnavox in their parent's basement.

Lmitout, take off the cheesehead glasses, stop drinking that sour lime Kool-aid and see that regardless it was a safety, maybe a questionable forward pass, but it was intentional grounding! Watch the play, and tell me who Rodgers was intending to pass it to? He was getting rid of the ball so he wouldnt get sacked!

Really??

Read the rules. It says the QB must pass the ball near or beyond the line of scrimmage, which he did, to avoid the intentional grounding penalty. Also try to understand that they would have called intentional grounding if it were so. They did not.

apparently you couldnt read my last post so i will have to post the official rules again

Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass

1. Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.

2. Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

3. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

frame by frame shows the ball clearly landed a yard short of the line of scrimmage.

oh look, it doesnt say anything about landing "near" the line of scrimmage. its bolded so you can see the actual rule