• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

stay away from the mossbergs, I've had nothing but trouble with them. Its 50-50 on whether it will be collecting dust in your closet or on the bottom of the pond come last day of the season. Mine made it to the closet, barely, where it will sit til shell freezes over or every other firearm in existance breaks. I wont even sell it cause its just not right to do people like that.

What was wrong with it? I am really happy with my 935.

Just about every shell would hang up, stove pipes out the wazoo. I was only able to make a follow up shot about 1/4 of the time. More of a single shot gun than a pump. Really had to rack the slide hard to get it to eject rounds. Threw it in the closet and went out and got a Browning Gold. 10 years later I have yet to have even 1 problem with the Browning.

Noticed the A-5 comment. Everyone in my family grew up shooting (and still have)A-5's. However, if you're looking to find a replacement for the A-5, check out a browning silver. My brother just picked one up (all camoed out) and that thing fits like a glove for us as A-5 guys. After shooting at 2 flocks with it, I started saving my $$ for an new gift for myself.

In terms of the original question - just take the time to pick each gun up and after that, it is all about what fits. That's why my family all shot A-5's for years, they just fit us well.

I haven't bought my shotgun yet. Last season I borrowed a friends. I've been doing more research and I am leaning toward a 870 Express. Wondering about your opinions about the Mossberg's or NEF. Gunsmith at Gander said Remington owns NEF and he said their guns are good. Associate said his Mossberg has been great for 17 years. The one thing I noticed on the Mossberg is how light of a gun it is. What is your opinion on barrel length? Which is better for all around use?

You can't go wrong with the 870 express or wing master unless you are going to grouse hunt with it I would suggest the 30" barrel it will hold a nice tight pattern and drop birds at some very long ranges,parts are every where and very easy to field strip clean and work on. My opinion on the mossbergs are they make a good gun but they are to sloppy in the actions and barrels for my likeing.

Barrel length has no bearing on pattern anymore. Some may find a better sight picture looking down a longer barrel, but barrel length is entirely shooters preference.

Be advised that if you're going to be hunting with partners out of a small boat, the shorter barrels(24" - 26"), do put the muzzle closer to others in the immediate area, and bring the noise of the report in closer to their ears.

The Rem 870's or Mossbergs are proven guns. I think either will work fine. The NEF may too, I've never seen one or heard a thing about them.

The Mossberg is a lighter gun than the Remington. They both feel good when I held them up. Would there be a bigger recoil with the lighter gun? The Mossberg had a group of ventilation holes about 4 inches down from the tip of the barrel. Associate said that those holes lessen the recoil. Is that true?

Yes they do lighten the recoil and barrel jump this is called porting,wich makes you faster for the second shot if you need one. True there is no bearing on pattern with the barrel lenghth but the sight picture changes greatly on short barrels it will look like you are along ways in front of the targets but with the longer barrel it will look like you are holding just in front of the beak. The farther you are back the farther the lead,this is why the longer barrels work better and if their close hold on them and squeeze the trigger. But this comes from someone who has shot long barrels all his life if you think the 30" is to long on my trap gun I shoot a 34".

The Mossberg had a group of ventilation holes about 4 inches down from the tip of the barrel. Associate said that those holes lessen the recoil. Is that true?
Yes

The mossberg is the basterd child of the shotgun world every one has one but know one will admit it. If you tell your freinds you got a mossberg they my put there nose up, if you tell them you got a 870 you will get aproving nods.Good luck RR

I got my first Mossberg (500) back in the 70's. Bought a 935 when they came out so I could shoot 3 1/2" shells. Bought my son a 20 Ga. Bantam when he started hunting, and then bought him an 835 when he turned 17. We still have all four guns and have never had a single issue with any of them.

They are lighter, good quality, and less expensive.

If you want to pay more just for an approving nod, go ahead.

I bought a new Stoeger 2 years ago, and love it. I have heard good and bad comments about them, but in 2 years of hunting I have never had one malfunction or jam. For an affordable semi-auto, I think it's a great choice.

Mossbergs are great guns. The 835 is the best pump shotgun in my opinion. The gun out patterns anything I have shot with just the standard choke tubes. The 935 is a great hunting gun for waterfowl. The only problem I have heard is you can't shoot 2 3/4 in. trap loads very well. That is the only reason I bought an X2 when I switched to an auto but now wish I would have stuck with a 935 because I use my old mossberg 500 pump to shoot clays.

I love my 870 express and my 870 wingmaster my express has been thru alot and even at the bottom of the duck sluogh and have only had one problem with it and it cost 17.oo dollars to fix I've had it for 20 yrs and I think its the best gun for the money also I have ported it and bored out the forceing cone

and its a 28 inch barrel. I would'nt trade it for anything.

but I will be handing it down to my son this year and I bought a stoger auto and I also shoot a browning gold