Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonny_redhorse

Bog Hawks

6 posts in this topic

Took a ride down to the Saz Bog this morning to see what critters /birds were to be seen.....lots of hawks for sure!...things were all over the place!....Hwy #7 of course is where they always seem to be....fun to watch em "hovering" and then diving onto their perspective prey....here's a couple images of some "sort" of hawk...not sure what kind it is grin....I think it's an "immature morphanized mole snatcher" grin

DSCN3751-2copy.jpg

P1050997copy.jpg

P1050995-1.JPG

P1050995-2.JPG

Thanks Steve!....I figured you would have the variety down pat grin......after sitting down and doing some book searching...looks like there's a"light" and "dark" variety...this one looks more like the "light" one in my manual....

Jonny, I like your name for 'em better. gringrin

The plumage variations run from pale to almost solid brown/black and nearly everywhere in between.

Thanks for the clarification Steve. I noticed a hawk that was all black on our last trip up to Ely. I was curious what it was and forgot to look. Now I atleast have an idea.

I was far better at identifying birds as a kid when I spent 99% of my days in the woods.