• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Under Armour

Esox_Magnum

There are lots of UnderArmour products which are you talking about? They do make good stuff that performs well. My workout gear is UnderArmour as well as my son's football undergear and spikes, both work as advertised. I find that Cabela's various weights of long underwear work well as a base when combined with Polartec for insulation and some sort of breathable outershell. I'm sure UnderArmour would work well too if used as intended.

Mainly looking at the cold weather gear for a base layer. I always wear my gore tex rain gear as an outer layer and dress accordingly inbetween but trying to reduce some bulk. You can only generate so much heat standing on a boat casting lol.

I have the cabelas brand polartec. I used it today hunting in the deer stand on the edge of a slough that the wind was blowing off and it kept me nice and warm. It's also cheaper than under armour. There are like three lines of it, I have the green.

If your concerned about price try checking the local discount stores such as TJMaxx and Marshalls. They carry some Under Armour products and it can be hit or miss as far as styles, but their prices are probably about 50-60% off retail. I think you can't go wrong with any of the other brands though as they all do about the same.

I think the Cabela's polar-tec fleece is better for activities where there isn't a lot of moving around, like stand hunting. Under Armour gets the nod if there is going to be some sweating going on. I have both and lots of it. The heat gear by U/A is outstanding as well.

If you are looking at the skin tight stretch stuff, yes, it works very well. I have a couple of the "Athletic Works" shirts from Wal-Mart that I use as a base layer. They cost about $10.00 as opposed to the UA at $50.00 and work like a charm. Maybe I'm just cheap but I can't see spending that much for underwear when you can get very similar and effective performance for much less.

I got my UA Cold Gear last year towards the end of the ice season from Gander and it was on clearance. I think I paid 60 bucks for the shirt and pants combined. Tried it out right away fishing the Sippi in the snow and it worked great. Then I brought it up to LOTW in the middle of March, and it worked great. Used it a month ago on Mille Lacs when it was 33 degrees trolling at night, and worked great. There is something to be said for a good set of thermal underwear. There will be many days spent in the UA this winter.

When one talks about wicking away moisture from ones body, Under Armour is great.

This past weekend we were deer hunting in North Dakote. My son shoots a buck along the river with his bow and the buck goes 20 yards, falls down by the river bank and then falls over the edge into the drink.

Its 8pm an 21 degrees and we needed to have one of us go into the river 40 yards to the deer and tie a rope around its antlers. We tied a rope around one guy, sent him on his way and then he grabed the deer and wwe pulled both him and the deer to shore with the rope we tied to him.

We got back to the house and he took off his Under Armour and his whole body was dry. Those clothes wicked all the moisture away from his body.

Thats pretty good stuff if you ask me.

Well, I'm going to have to be the one to disagree with the UA cold gear stuff. For me at least it is too warm for any type of medium activity in cold weather. If you only have to walk a few hundred yards it's fine, but a half mile walk and then a sit on the deer stand, it doesn't work for me. I'd rather wear a real light base layer and then throw on some fleece tops/bottoms.

I don't like the compression stuff very much. It feels like I'm stuck in a sausage casing.

The UA loose heat gear long sleeve shirt, is by far and away the best base layer I have ever used. I wear it as my base layer 95% of the time. The other 5% I use a sile one, when that one gets a little ripe.

Duofold poly pro is also very good.

I just bought the UA Cold Gear mock t-neck and bottoms preparing for the 3B deer season. I sit on stand most of the day and with the forecast of below average temps looming I figured I may need a little help in achieving that this year. Hope they work as advertised---sounds like they do.