Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cjac

Weekend Reports 11/08-09

20 posts in this topic

I got out for a couple hours this afternoon, and COLD was the operative word!

With the wind, I ended up trolling, one small tiger up to boatside for a "hands off" release, I sure didn't mind.... Still, it's encouraging to see recent year class fish.

Made a run to Cabelas tonight for some of the Under Armor gear. I'll see if it's all its cracked up to be tomorrow. Hopefully headed out for a while, no sense in watching football, I can do that the next two months.

By the way, a couple colors of the sz. 26 (muskie sized) Storm Giant Thundersticks were marked down to $8 at 'belas. Good Fall trolling bait....

I stayed indoors, buddy and a friend of his went out for awhile. Wind was nasty you couldn't get out of it. They ended up breaking 2 reels due to freezing up and saw nothing.

my intake sprung a leak so i had to stay inside and keep warm today while it got fixed... cry i feel so bummed i did'nt get to freeze today. but the trucks at home now waiting for morning. i'll get down to the mississippi sorta early, maybe 8 a.m. or so and slay 'em. i'll get 3 by 9 a.m. and call it a day cool

then i'll wake up and head out. grin

fished in wisconsin from 8-6 today. went from rain to wind to snow and back to rain and then calm and then gusty over and over, but it was pretty good. Weird thing is I was expecting water temps to be in the upper 30's today but forgot it was so hot earlier this week. I had 47 degrees when it was 43 last week.

I saw what could have been the biggest skie I've ever seen. It followed in a 9" streamer fly but unfortunately I was stripping it in quickly to cast out again without checking for a follow, and the HUGE skie came flying in and made a big U-turn as I pulled my fly out of the water.

Also lost about a mid 30's on the streamer. I was trying 12-16" suckers too but nothing on them although it was my first time ever using big suckers.

But my friend I was with got his first skie! (on purpost anyways) it was a beautiful fat 40 incher that hit a burt jerkbait before dark. He also had one at like 8:30 this morning that hit the burt around upper 30's that didn't get hooked.

I got out for a couple hours this afternoon, and COLD was the operative word!

CJAC... no argument with you on that... It was COLD, partly thanks to the wind... we were seeing whitecaps on French...

BigEye30 and I hit French at about 10am... the launch's definitely getting shallower n shallower... if not for waders, we'd def be stuck at the launch...

Main part of the lake was full of waves... so we opted to hit the north end... we could see more than several good sized blips on the sonar ( big enough to be either muskies or pike) but none went... then we moved to NW shore... was quiet enough in that area for me to use Weagle for a while... ran into HUGE concentration of baitfish on the east shore... but couldnt really detect predators like we did on the north shore... finally hit the south shore before we decided to pack it up and call it for the day... with no fish at all... than again, pretty much we were the ONLY one on the lake... sure was nice having the lake all to ourselves...

Tomorrow, we'll be hitting Bald Eagle... so should be there approx 10am... so if you happen to see two guys in a nice red lund, say hello!!!

I fished a west metro lake from 9am till 6pm or so. Moved 8 fish, had one on and lost it trying to net it alone, might have gone 40, doubt it.

Found a MONSTER bait pod. Ran from 5-6 feet down to maybe 13 or so covering about 75 yards of shoreline and 40 feet out or so. Spent the whole day moving different fish in and around it, kind of in a channel. Couple BIG, couple really small, but they all seemed sluggish for hte most part!

Now to figure out what the bait pod was, it was a solid mass right up till first dark then it was gone/dispersed. Gonna borrow an underwater camera tomorrow and see if I can find it again!

fished Tonka from 8am to 6pm, mix of trolling n casting, 2 lazy follows, thought i had 2 monsters on as snagged 2 carp, good fights, probably both around 8-10 lbs, kept em on for a minute around the boat to see if get a hit on live bait!! The carps where surfacing everywhere. some nice rollers out there! not 1 pleasure boater out there today.

Well, I hope someone did better than me! Hit the same lake/area, found nothing. Went 6 hours or more with cold hands, icing rods, breaking reels (argh again!) with out a sniff in any way. Seriously questioning the worth of it at the moment, but that will pass by next weekend i'm sure! wink

2 muskie on with long line releases. about 20 feet both times. had more hits but never really hooked up, spinner bait black/gold. four nice walleyes with the best around 24''s, huskyjerk, gold/black. mississippi. pool 2, minneapolis. early morning, left at 11 to catch the game. whew, huh?

I netted a PB musky for my buddy on Saturday who was long overdue. His 38" pike did not disappoint either. Guarantee that's the only time he'll ever throw the same bait all day long. We moved a few other decent fish, one was really excited but wouldn't eat.

Weather was pretty brutal with the wind gusts but it was a fun challenge. Temps hovered just below freezing but we were still able to cast most of the day.

Somehow I got stuck out there without my hook cutters, that will never happen again, glad the colder temps gave us a little room for error there.

Talked to a couple of buds that went out on Sat. morning, they landed one low 30's fish and had two or three follows, sounds like one was a very nice fish.

I went out for a few hours saturday on the Mississippi. I couldn't find a thing in any of the usual spots so I just peppered the entire shoreline and coaxed a fish into missing my bait. It was the only action I saw all day. My eyelets started accumulating a lot of ice and pretty fast, and i had to chip ice off my reel a couple of times. somehow the face-plate of my Luna unscrewed itself, or i'm assuming maybe was forced open from water freezing around it, but i didn't notice that was the issue until i got home, it was making it so my spool would want to move to the right and my reel wouldn't function at all. After that happened i decided to call it a day. Good for a last hurrah i suppose.

there isnt much time left to nail a pig in 08'......in looking at 10 day forecast we are looking at ice soon.

Quote:
there isnt much time left to nail a pig in 08'......in looking at 10 day forecast we are looking at ice soon.

ice aside. just a little something for the few that might care.... don't forget north dakota border waters have a continuous muskie season and wisconsin border waters are closed to muskie march 1st 2009. smile .

got a 43" on waconia this morning trolling in 17 feet of water off the beach. real healthy fish, real cold out. Jonah

Quote:
Alcohol free since 1/1/08.

nice fish man.

almost a year on sobriety!! it's beat one day at a time. smile

b1gf1sh1, sober since 8/19/93 cool

original floater f11 in firetiger fishing for eyes on ten lb floro behind a 2oz bouncer, great fight, beautiful fish. thanks b1gf1sh1