• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody ever have there treestand blow down?

I got to thinking, once again, as every once in a while another tree would blow down, if anyone out there has had the experience of their tree blowing over with them in it. I take my time choosing a solid tree but you never really know if it's rotten in the middle and today is its destiny to topple in a gust. I've seen some otherwise healthy looking trees go over and then see that their core is rotten.

I wonder what you should do if you start going over. Probably isn't time to do anything. I like tree stands but sometimes they spook me a little.

I am a Certified Arborist by trade. There are some key things to look for, which are usually fairly obvious (when you know what to look for) to determine the stability of a tree.

I have a 22 page pdf file on how to recognize hazardous trees, published by the USFS. Without permission from the forum Admin. I will not post it here.

Contact me off of the forum at jsirbas@msndotcom

I remember a season many years ago(around 1983) in Kandiyohi county when the snow was falling and the wind was howling.It was almost a white out.I think I stopped counting on how many trees and limbs I either saw come down or heard come down.Pretty scary stuff.When a limb came down out of the big old oak next to my tree stand and one of the branches cut my face,I wheeled around and shot the button buck that had been hanging around for an hour or two,tagged him and without gutting I put my head down and drug him out.The smallest deer I have ever seen tagged.When I went back out to my stand 1/2 of the oak dusted my stand.After that I not only checked the tree I built in but I also like to check the trees around me and take a look up.Pretty close to making a head line.

I wonder what you should do if you start going over. Probably isn't time to do anything. I like tree stands but sometimes they spook me a little.

Sounds like someone has a hard time being alone with thier thoughts winkgringrin Today I was in a pretty much dead tree with the wind swaying me pretty good with other fallen trees around me. I thought about it for about 2 seconds then came to the conclusion that after some of the stuff I've been thru in my life and still able to tell the story if I go because the tree falls it is just my time and the way I'm supposed to go...though I highly doubted it would happen.......maybe its just me but I dont give things like this much thought as I believe in my makers plan for me and when its my time its my time and theres nothing I can do about it.

I had a treestand get wrecked by a tree that fell the wrong way when it was cut for logging. When I saw my stand I laughed, because I was there to take it out for the season, plus it was a homemade hangon made out of angle iron and treated wood which cost me nothing to make.

But what is really weird is on Wed. night I climbed up a tree with my climber and looked to my left there was an old elm tree that was split and I thought " Is this tree going to come down in this strong wind." It didn't but on Fri morning when going to the same spot that tree was down.

We have a permanent deer stand that we call "The broken down stand" We built it and harvested some deer out of it, then the july 4th storm hit and knocked it down, Thus becoming "The broken down stand" we then rebuilt a couple years later with one of the busted trees, but then another storm hit and broke another tree again. What are the chances of that? So this year we put up a ladder stand, one doe opening morning.

I had a close call while in the stand. I was in a climber on the edge of a revine. If I look one way it is about 15ft off the ground. If I look the other way it is about a 45ft drop. I had my safety harness on and was sitting through a pretty stiff wind, not thinking anything of it. The next moment the tree right next to me was uprooted and blow into the revine. The tree was the same size as the one I was in and I actually considered using that tree. Talk about a close call. I suppose the safety harness doesn't work all that well when the tree falls with you.

I climb to the highest point on with minimal trimming on a tree as possible and always wonder what would happen if the tree starts to fall over.....I always try to identify a tree that I could try to jump to if the one I was in started tipping......I was thinking one day in a stiff wind that I probably shouldn't be 20+ ft in the air adding an additional 250 lbs to the top of the tree!!!

We did have a couple stands get knocked out by other trees one year...kinda sucks when you had built one the year before and it turned out to be the most comfortable stand we had!!

treestand.jpg

Luckly, I decided to go out to check my stand one last time on Friday afternoon before opener. No damage was done to the stand, and with a little help it was back up and ready to go. I'm glad I wasn't in it and it made me a little nervous on satuday with all the wind we had.