Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeremy airjer W

The "ORIGINAL" Ice Leaders Ice Map?

16 posts in this topic

Who's interested in getting this started again this year?

In previous years I have had you email me ice info, I think this year maybe just start a thread and leave it open so that lake info can be posted or emailed whichever you would like. I would keep the info updated on the first couple of posts in the thread (one for norther mn, one for central mn, one for southern mn) so the info will be essentially ion the top, but I think it may be easier to post the info for some of you rather than email. If your a little shy I still have the icereports@att.net email address.

As always if you have thoughts on changes or improvements I'm all ears!

This is a sample of the Map I have done in the past.

icemap-8-1.jpg

What do you think, give it another shot this year?

I think its a great idea, living here in the south, its nice to see how the ice is coming up north without checking all the web sites.

I will send/post reports again this year

But always remember to check first ice with a spud as you walk and carry your picks and Arctic Armor is some of the best insurance you can buy

I may have heard there is ice forming in the Duluth area? grin

I know pigs eye (very shallow) here in St. Paul was frozen over this morning. Won't be long!!

I think maybe I'll get the ball rolling by the end of the week.

Had 11 degrees here last night and I saw that some places in N. MN were in single digits. If that keeps up, we'll be out by Thanksgiving easy.

16 degrees last night in east central area! I went down to the eddy off the snake river and there is a full sheet across the eddy with snow on top!!!! I would say prolly .5 of of a inch.

If it stays like this then a couple of weeks we will be able to get out on small lakes or backwaters

Skim of ice on the shallow lakes in the town of Hutchinson (Otter and Campbell).

Had 11 degrees here last night and I saw that some places in N. MN were in single digits. If that keeps up, we'll be out by Thanksgiving easy.

Wouldn't that be nice! A nice Thanksgiving meal, followed by some Turkey day football, then head out on the ice. Whoa, a little daydreaming there. sleep

I would love to wrap up Deer hunting the week of Thanksgiving and while putting away the orange, pull out the portable!

i think its a great idea, and helps everyone out here on the forums to know whats going on in the whole state!

I would like to see the map. It gives me hope down here. It is almost like the official start to the season to see the map and the reports.

I'M an agricultural meteorologist,from the data I have been looking at, parts of N/Ne MN could get to the zero mark for night time lows on a night or two early next week, if the sky stays clear enough and there is just a little snow cover...I can't wait to head back north by late Dec or early jan.

Agreed it is very helpful.. I will try to keep tabs on the N. Metro area. A few days ago there was some skim ice on small ponds and such but today it all melted with the rain and warm.. Looks like Saturday we will be dropping into the low 30's or upper 20's for highs in the metro with a lil snow.. I hope we just keep going down from there..

Anyways sorry for rambling Great idea again though!

Ryan

Small lakes by Ely had small skim ice covering them on tuesday. Needless to say my crappie haunt was frozen so i had to catch a couple walleye for dinner instead. poor me. it was above freezing the last two days so i'm not sure what the present status is. ITS COMING THOUGH!!!!!