• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

*2008 HSO/FM Deer Season Reports and Results!*

Shack

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldfeet- nice one too! Some nice bucks are showing up now...nice to see some hogs on the ground.

By the way, you get that one around Bagley? I'm hunting NE of Bagley close to Leonard.

20 miles south of Bagley near Roy Lake. We've got about 800 acres between my dad, my uncle and my grandmother. We've been trying to manage the deer herd for the past 10 years or so and it seems to be paying off. I'd say the 5 biggest deer we've ever taken in all the years I've been hunting (20 years) were all shot since 2005. This one should rank in the top 3.

Browning...it's all good..

I hunt Brimson area(Superior Nat'l Forest) Longest shot maybe 100 yards. Pretty thick stuff.

Tippman - yeah, I know.. lame name. My initials and can't figure out how to change it. I will go with Diet Dr Pepper since I had troubles this year getting myself in the stand smile

Ha, I though he was still referring to my buck. Didn't even realize he was referring to another person, sorry!

Some really nice buck pics on here guys.

Ohh I see, Not familiar with that area... sounds like you guys are practicing QDM and best of luck rest of the season!

The rules in our party are simple. If you shoot a buck it has to be the biggest one you've ever shot or a minimum of 8 points and wider than the ears. The first part allows for "green" hunters to shoot a spike or fork but with each buck the ante goes up. Once you hit the 8 point rule you're stuck with it. Violations of the rule result in a $100 "donation" the the general fund of the deer hunting party.

I don't mean to make a long post, but I thougth I'd do a Paul Harvey and tell "The rest of the story" on the buck in the picture I posted:

My brother set up in one of the new stands we put up this summer on Tuesday evening. When he came in he was ranting about having called in a huge buck but he couldn't get a shot on him. Apparently it came crashing through the woods toward the stand after he had blown his doe bleat a few times. When it got close, he switched to a tending grunt and that apparently really ticked off the deer. He said it was thrashing saplings back in some thick popples and knocking down small trees all the while snorting and wheezing like crazy. Then it circled way around him and got downwind. After that it didn't come any closer. He was going to sit in the same stand this evening and see if that buck would come back. The section of woods it came from is within my dad's pasture land (haven't been any cattle in there for years) and there is another stand on the opposite corner of the wooded section. I'd say the two stands are about 1/4 mile apart, maybe just a tad bit under. Anyway, I set up in the opposite stand, one that I've hunted many times before and spent so many hours in I can't even count, but it would definitely be in the triple digits. Of all the time I've spent in that stand, I've only seen 1 deer, and that was a little doe about 4 or 5 years ago. The point is, I was not very optimistic.

Now I need to tell the part of the story that I don't want to, because it demonstrates that I am not the super-keen-by-the-book-uber-outdoorsman that I lead people to beleive I am. I have DHADD, or Deer Hunting Attention Deficit Disorder. In other words, I get really bored in the stand after about 2 minutes. I've found a way to cure this though and that is to bring along a hand held electronic video Yahtzee game to pass the time.

So I get out of work early and I'm in the stand around 2:30. About 5 minutes later I'm already playing my Yahtzee game. I peek around every so often but don't see anything. Then I hear a noise to my right and realize that there are about a dozen really fat grouse browsing in a tree about 20 yards from me. I watch them for a while and then go back to playing Yahtzee. Around 3:30 I'm getting bored with Yahtzee (I need to pick up a video poker game or something that I can switch to) and figuring that since I never see deer from this stand it wouldn't hurt to have a cigarette since I'm likely not going to see anything anyway. I finish the cigarette and go back to watching grouse. That gets boring after another 10 minutes so I remembered what my brother had said earlier about having a buck come charging in after blowing his doe bleat. I figure why not so I set my grunt call to fawn bleat and give it a go. Sure enough I instantly hear something crashing through the woods. I grab my gun and get ready.....and then silence. I wait. I wait some more. 10 minutes go by and nothing. Ah well, I was probably hearing things anyway. I grab my Yahtzee game and peek at the grouse again and then notice a slight movement to the left of where I'm facing (which is actually straight ahead of where I'm sitting since I was facing right and watching grouse). I definitley see what appears to be a deer and it looks as if it is walking straight toward me. I put the scope on it and realize that it is not walking toward me but directly away from me. Then I see the rack. The deer has just gone over a crest and is disappearing so I have to act fast. I know this is an ill-advised shot, but I shoot an awful lot (thousands of rounds/year) and I know I can hit the black on a target @ 200 yards. This deer is out about 180 (that's a guess but it appeared to be as far as I hit a 6 iron so I feel that it is fairly accurate). I put the crosshairs right above his shoulders and squeeze the trigger. He dropped right where he was. When I examined the deer I saw that the bullet entered right where I wanted it to and went straight through his neck, severing the spine. I was straight behind him and he wasn't quartering at all. It's the first time in my life I've taken a shot like that and honestly I hope it's the last. I much prefer a broadside shot with a larger target area, especially at that distance. I'm glad I hit my spot, but it's not a shot I'm particularly proud of. 2 inches to the right or left and I've got a wounded deer that might not go down anytime soon.

Hunted Saturday Morning and Night, Sunday in the morning, Monday at night, and Tuesday Morning. Had to go take test @ the university monday morning, but came back to hunt with my dad.

Well, I only saw 1 Doe coming by that my dad flushed out.

My dad also saw a two does, but did not get any good clear shot.

On, Sunday night my uncle, cousin, and I were in the cabin playing my xbox360. I had to go take a leak, as I go I see brand new deer TRACKS! We just missed the deer by like 10 minutes. Had I been looking out the window I would've had a shot from the cabin. LOL.

Nice critter, that's why you let the young bucks grow ! Makes you wonder how many hunters let that deer walk a year or two or three ago. If anyone missed him before or couldn't get a clear shot, there's no doubt Gordy didn't miss, nicely done and on Veteran's Day to boot ! Congrats !

Hello everyone. This is the buck I got Saturday morning. This is the first deer I have shot so as you can guess, I am hooked for life now even though I may never get a buck like this again.

Field dressed it weighed 198#. What is also funny is the neighbor has this exact buck on his trail cam. He stopped over Saturday night and showed me the video of it which is very neat. He had it nicknamed "Pigtails"

GarrettsBuck-1.jpg

Well looks like someone didnt pu$$Y foot around by shooting a little guy for there first deer laugh way to go man congrats!! that is a awesome looking deer i love the double drop tines you dont see that to often!! how come i couldnt get that lucky in the past 8 years haha! again crongrats man