• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

*2008 HSO/FM Deer Season Reports and Results!*

Shack

This buck was the 20th one taken on that property, it's been in our family forever, I don't want to sell it. 1st year I put a trail cam up, my goodness, bucks fighting on it and an unreal number of different ones, it's only 80 acres, but in trophy trophy buck country, ask the locals around New York Mills and they'll point to my area quickly.

[Note from admin: edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya i know where ur comin i thought u meant that there were no deer at all! i know they are around and ya they act different but they will still be around....this really did happen 2 yrs ago shot a doe and half hour later i climb into my stand not kidding there were 7 wolves in front of me! one was sniffing the deer in the tree! one shot into the ground and they were gone

Well we went 2 for 4 first weekend. And we had a couple of first in deer camp this year.

My sister shot her first buck, a small 6 pt that we captured on trailcam about 2 weeks ago. She shot him about 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning.

My son shot his first ever deer, a big doe at 11:52 Sunday morning. We had to track her for about 300 yrds and found her laying next to a fallen tree. He was pretty excited.

Thats all for us this year.

Browning...it's all good..

I hunt Brimson area(Superior Nat'l Forest) Longest shot maybe 100 yards. Pretty thick stuff.

Tippman - yeah, I know.. lame name. My initials and can't figure out how to change it. I will go with Diet Dr Pepper since I had troubles this year getting myself in the stand smile

Hey Quack, Northeast MN - Brimson/Fairbanks area - 20 miles or so NW or Two Harbors. The locals up there had mentioned there's a black wolf up there with a collar. I can't tell from the pic but it doesn't look like it has one. Probably hidding in the fur. I don't know much about wolves but understand they make a 2 week loop of a large area. Hopefully they don't make it back for the 3rd weekend. I have another trail cam in a different area that had a loner wolf and the pic before that was a buck going full tilt. not very good quality pic but you can see his front legs off the ground.

deer5-1.jpg

DDP! Where do you hunt? You know Bassett Cemetery?

Here is my sons 1st deer. Dad is very proud of his little guy!

DSCF1033.jpg

got him at 1:00pm on Sat. He was sitting there with grandpa while I was walking the Diamond willows out in front of them. Could not have happened to a better kid! 10pt with a 15" inside spread.

Here is the kid and grandpa showing off their deer-

DSCF1030.jpg

All day in the stand (11 hours) on a 40 that we have never hunted before. (lost a leased 160 acre property across the road when it sold about a month ago) 15 year old daughter and I never saw a deer on Saturday but my 15 year old son sat for the first time alone and at 4:30PM dropped a doe that entered the trail he had been watching. He made a great shot right through the heart with the deer looking directly at him from 110 yards with her tail a twitching because something wasn't right. Might have been the toughest 40 yard in the dark tracking job I've ever had as they just don't bleed out the front! (FYI---thought the "blood light" was overrated last year but saved my bacon on this one a couple of times or at least made the job a bit easier.)

Next day, more of the same except at 4:50PM a nice 8 pointer showed up in almost the exact same spot. This one my son dropped in its tracks. Daughter and I only saw a doe and a yearling on Sunday when they spooked when he was walking back to his stand after checking out his buck. Neither of us got a shot off!

Next day (Monday) daughter and I switched to the "hot" stand and at 1:50PM a yearling doe jumped into the trail and after a few clumsy seconds my daughter put her down. Not the best shot and maybe a bit lucky as she told me she had a terrible sight picture in her scope but that I was pushing her to shoot since the deer was about to move off of the trail. Daughter didn't even pull the trigger last year so I would likely still be in the woods catching "heck" from my wife about keeping them out of school so we needed that deer really bad.

Now the really big negative is that my wife has decided we have enough deer for the season and she doesn't want me to go back alone for second weekend. We took down the stands but I was planning on using a ground blind I own so I still thought I would get away with a weekend on my own (both kids have a retreat this weekend and only had opening weekend to hunt--as it was I got them Monday and Tuesday as well.)

Very wierd but I guess real successful weekend for us. Saw very few deer as compared to most years across the road. Of course that property had an 80 acre hay field so we saw alot of deer that we never shot at. We actually saw 3 different bucks on neighboring properties either before or after shooting hours driving in or out so there were some deer. Just very few shots in our area around us so at least up until we left we were probably more successful than most.

Can't argue with seeing three deer and three shots taken resulting in three dead deer--pretty good results for a couple of 15 year olds. Dad was apparently along just to drive and buy dinner as well as to do most of the dirty work! Honestly I don't think I'd have it any other way.

I got up this morning to hunt with my dad but only this morning since he had some prior engagements he had to go to, so we were going to sit until 10 am and call her a day. Well this morning it was snowing and sleet mix, that made my walk to the stand really quiet. I got in about 6:30 or so, and by 6:44 I had my buck on the ground. I heard the grass shuffling sound coming from the south at only 40 yards and before I knew it this buck was 15 yards away in my shooting lane and my gun was point in the direction of another so then he spotted me and took a few steps and I brought my gun half way to his direction and he looked at me again! That stare lasted only seconds and once he looked away, it was one fell swoop, brought the gun to his direction and as I came down onto his chest I took off the safety and once the cross hairs hit his chest an almost automatic boom came and the flames shot from the muzzle, and alas 35 yards later he was down for the count.

I said to myself before the season opened and thought I would have doe on the ground with my bow, but that never happened, that I would pass up young bucks. I had shot one buck a couple years before this one and that was a spike but I had an overwhelming urge to take this deer. Next year however I am going to stick to my plan and wait for a nice one and shoot the does.

here are some pictures, nice sized body on him (have yet to weigh him) but hes still a trophy.

My dad and I have so much fun deer hunting together that it should almost, key word "almost" be illegal.

buck009.jpg

bagley-buck002.jpg

I haven't been deer hunting in 18 years. I was looking forward to sitting in the stand again and watching all the wildlife around. I was only in the stand a 1/2 hour when this one walked in.

0011qw3.jpg

This was probably the shortes hunt for me yet. My fall turkey hunt was about an hour long. I feel like there is something missing this fall.

My brother shot this one night before last. He had two that were about the same size come down off the hill together grunting. Not knowing which was the largest he just shot the one in the lead. Should gross score around 135. 20 inch inside spread.

026.jpg

Got this one today about 4:00 pm. I didn't have anyone to take a picture of it for me (and like a dunce I forgot the camera at home) so I had to snap a photo of it when I got home. I was too busy watching about a dozen HUGE, FAT ruffed grouse browsing in a tree about 20 yards from me and I never even saw him come out. I just noticed a slight movement out of the corner of my eye and when I looked over I saw a deer walking right down the shooting lane directly in front of me. Anyway, here he is....

DSCF0621640x480.jpg

12 points, 201.4 lbs