• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

*2008 HSO/FM Deer Season Reports and Results!*

Shack

Sat in the stand for over 14 hours down in Houston, MN. Only saw one doe as I was walking out of the woods. It was so winding I had to climb out of my stand because the tree I was in started to crack. I went down to a more sheltered area and unfortunately the 30mph winds were swirling around me. I never had a chance. I will wait for next weekend.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windy!!! I almost started to get sea sick sitting in the tree that was moving every which way here in Duluth. Never saw a thing in about 5 hrs of hunting but will be out all day monday so hopefully something comes on by!

Went out for all of saturday saw nothing my father and another guy got a doe each but very very slow action but very very windy, neighbors shot at a big buck but missed. very windy today too, saw one deer back at camp no shot. will be out tuesday and wednesday, should be better I hope.

I took two bucks on opener. The first was about a 7 inch spike. With his body, he should have at LEAST been a forkhorn. That was around 8:30am. Went to a different spot for the afternoon hunt. Shot a basket 8 pointer. Will get the pics up as soon as possible. Not real impressive, but the first double bucks i have shot on opener.

I took two bucks on opener. The first was about a 7 inch spike. With his body, he should have at LEAST been a forkhorn. That was around 8:30am. Went to a different spot for the afternoon hunt. Shot a basket 8 pointer. Will get the pics up as soon as possible. Not real impressive, but the first double bucks i have shot on opener.

Sounds a lot like my report!

I'm calling it a Spork (Spike on one side, Fork on the other) came walking by my stand early Saturday morning. Took the shot so we had 1 deer hanging right away opening morning.

Pushed woods, sloughs, and thickets all day without getting a chance at a shot.

Back for evening stand, my dad shot a nice 6 pt and I immediately followed that up with a decent 8 pt. When I say immediately, it was within 10 seconds as I thought I was finishing the deer he shot at. Turns out it was 2 different bucks.

Pretty good opening day actually, 3 bucks for 3 guys on public land. We didn't even hunt today. Pretty much called it a season as the family will have plenty of meat to go around and that weather this weekend just wore a guy out.

Nice work!

Saturday the deer activity was great on stand. Saw 2 small 6 pointers fighting over a doe and about an hour later I watched a fork run from the woods into the field and got it on with a spiker I had been watching...they sparred briefly and the fork took off.

Saw 15 deer, but I was waiting for a good shot on a nice buck or a doe. I couldn't find that shot, but I did see several coyotes that did present shots. whistle

Today was terribly slow, hardly any shooting and I was the only one out of the group that saw a deer...a small 6 that was on a mission.

Had a nice sit opening morning with two small bucks and 3 does in front of me for 1/2 hour or so. I finally had the big doe present a broadside at 30 yards so I took her. While dragging this one out, I jumped a big wide buck and watched him disappear into the distance...

Mostly just Hypothermia today. Only one crazy running doe seen.

2008deeropeningday003.jpg

Very slow for us.

Only one deer shot for 5. But it was my sons first deer, so that was plenty enjoyment for me!

Either the deer in our area are sterile and dont rut, or the rut isnt going. LOL

The group saw one buck that was with a doe. Crazy.

Beyond that, only a few deer seen by the group.

Slow on saturday we didn't see any. This morning my buddy got this one around 9:00 AM. He has the rest of the week off and I'll be off for the next two weeks so think we're off to a good start.

CopyofDSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0005.jpg

Hey DinnerPail,

Are you hunting in the Sugar Hills area ? Are you and your buddy Mike and Randy? If so I've got a couple of questions for you as we've met and talked while hunting in that area. If so please private email me at ra_baldwin at hotmail dot com.

I was lucky enough to pick up a fork horn in the a.m. and a 6pt in the evening. Nothing big but it's meat for processing! I saw more deer then I normally do even with the wicked winds. I hunt by New Ulm and there was snow on the ground all weekend and that help us find two deer but we still lost a 3rd. Overall a great day for me, heck seeing a deer is rewarding. I was shut out for the last 3! Good luck to the rest, I'll try again this weekend.

I thought the winds would shut the deer down. Guess I was wrong. Was hunting near Spicer. My bro shot his first buck ever about a half hour into the season, a 5 pointer. Not huge, but sure was nice to finally see him shoot a buck. I connected on a nice sized doe on Saturday evening. Then at 7:30am on sunday morning my dad shot a 6 pointer. Since we hunt a lottery area, we are done for the season. Here are our deer. Sunday afternoon was spent butchering the 3 deer. I am sure sore today.

DSC_02681.jpg

The party of 3 hunting in the adjacent woods shot 3 bucks saturday morning. A 10, 4, and a spike buck.

I tell you there is nothing more exciting then the drive up to camp for a new deer hunting season. There also is nothing more depressing then the drive home when it's all done!! It makes it alittle easier to swallow when you get a deer. I passed on a doe and a fawn the opening morning and stewed about it all night but I didn't trust the shot so I didn't want to wound a deer. Next morning I was rewarded with a 6 pointer. Nice deer but the rack was pretty ugly. Otherwise pretty quite at our camp and the surrounding area. We are north/ northwest of Williams by Lake of the Woods. There was 1-2" of snow on the ground which was nice in those woods.

I shot a nice 8 point at 725am on Saturday morning - 50 miles NW of two harbors. It was COLD and WINDY so I just sat on our driveway (which is 2 miles long)- thinking if I got too cold I would just go to the shack and warm up.

Just as I was debating on weather to go inside I see brown walking down the drive. I pull up by 7mm WSM and notice horns. Pull the trigger about a foot above the back.

You ask why a foot above the back? Well finding the deer went 10 yards in to woods to the east it turned out to be a great shot at 472 YARDS!!!!

I have never shot that far but felt comfortable since I was sitting on a chair with an arm rest. Straight shot with no obstructions.

Everyone in our party were amazed at the shot and result.