• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Interesting

gunflint

I was just killing time and waiting for opener next spring and I found this.

Title: Diet Overlap and Predation between Smallmouth Bass and Walleye in a North Temperate Lake

Author: Frey, Aaron P.; Bozek, Michael A.; Edwards, Clayton J.; Newman, Steve P.

Date: 2003

Source: Journal of Freshwater Ecology 18(1):43-54

Description: Walleye (Stizostedion vitreum vitreum) and smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu) diets from Big Crooked Lake, Wisconsin were examined to assess the degree of diet overlap and predation occurring between these species in an attempt to deternine whether walleye influence smallmouth bass recruitment, which is consistently low compared to proximal lakes that do not have walleye. Of 389 adult walleye stomachs examined from June 1999 through March 2000, a total of 879 prey fish was found, but only one was identified as a smallmouth bass. In 303 smallmouth bass stomachs examined, 55 prey fish were found and no cannibalism was evident, nor were walleye preyed upon. Dietary overlap using the Schoener resource overlap index was 0.416, 0.293 and 0.205 for the months June, July and August 1999, respectively, indicating that there was not a significant dietary overlap during summer months. Because neither diet overlap nor predation appeared substantial in Big Crooked Lake, additional research on interactions among younger age classes of walleye, interactions at other times of the year, and interactions with other species are needed to elucidate limitations to smallmouth bass recruiment in this system.

In 303 smallmouth bass stomachs examined, 55 prey fish were found and no cannibalism was evident, nor were walleye preyed upon.

I would have guessed that those bass would be less choosy and cannibalize, I suppose a species that does that would eat themselves out of existance?

Thanks for the post.

Turk