• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baltimore's Inner Harbor

I had some time this afternoon and I spent it in the inner harbor area of downtown Baltimore. This shot was an easy one for me to take and process(I've shot a few mallards recently), so I thought I'd post it up. I'll add more to this thread after I have a chance to get through the other photos I took. I hope you enjoy the taste.

BWI-Mall-Pair.jpg

I think I was a little premature in my feeling bad for you having to go back to work. Had I known what your work consisted of I wouldn't have been so quick. wink

Nice pic! Can't wait to see more.

If you like I could give you a call when my alarm clock goes off at 3:20am your time tomorrow morningwink

I have found that for every plus there is a minus, nature maintaining a balance I guess. But hey, if I'm lucky I should make it back to the house by 8:30 tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll get some images picked out and processed tomorrow on the flight back to Minneapolis.

As I promised here they are. It was cloudy early then the lighting was constantly changed as it got closer to sunset. As always I definitely appreciate any and all C&C, especially on the post processing and compositions. Thanks and enjoy.

Sleeping quarters for the enlisted men on the USS Constellation.

Const-Racks.jpg

The Lady Maryland which I believe is used for harbor and bay cruises.

lady-maryland.jpg

A bow shot of the Statsraad Lehmkuhl which is currently under contract with the Royal Norwegian Navy and used as a training ship for Naval Academy Cadets.

Statsraad-Front.jpg

A stern shot of the Statsraad Lehmkuhl with the USS Constellation in the background.

Statsraad-Const.jpg

A crew member of the Statsraad Lehmkuhl brushing and painting the anchor while she is in the Port of Baltimore.

statsraad-anchor.jpg

Not a problem Mike. Thanks for the comments. It was tough going through the pictures and picking out compositions. There is so much going on with a tall ship that I found it hard to figure out what to frame up.

What macro lens is it that you have? I'm trying to put together a wish list for people and as I recall that lens helped you to take some great photos. Also, the ducks,the hammocks and the bow shot of the Lehmskuhl were taken with the D90 and the 18-105VR kit lens that comes with it. If you are looking for a nice little travel lens I would recommend it. I like it better than the 18-200VR. The 18-105 doesn't have the vignetting wide open or the lens creep problems.

I have the Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro. It is a great lens. I've been real happy with it. It's funny that you mention that lens. I've been looking at a nice medium wide angle lens and have looked at that one, the 18-200 VR and the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8. I think I have made up my mind on the Sigma 18-50mm because of the f2.8 and a lot of the stuff I like to shoot benefits from the shallow depth of field. It's interesting that you like the 18-105mm better as the 18-200mm has gotten some great reviews. I haven't read much about the new one but I know that price wise the 18-105mm is about half the price as the 18-200mm. Might be time to think a little more.

Thanks for the info.

I picked up a used Nikon 50mm 1.4 last week for about $280. It is nice, a little soft at 1.4 but by 1.8-2 it is crisp. A zoom 18-50 f2.8 or faster would be great too.

You can have the Nikon 18-105VR and the 70-300VR for about $100 more than the 18-200VR. The 70-300 is full frame and very sharp on a DX format. Like a said though, for me these are travel lenses and I travel a lot. In the future I would like to get some faster lenses and maybe the Sigma 150-500OS for fun. How much is the Sigma 105 going for?

B&H has them for $439 but I got mine on e bay hardly used for $100 less than that. That Sigma 150-500 sounds like a nice piece but after seeing the work here by some of these guys it sure makes a big fast prime look good. So much of what I shoot isn't wildlife so I can't justify it though.