• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do Mud Tires perform on greasy trails?

bigdog

Question

I will be the first to admit I try to avoid places where 4-wheel drive is required but with the rains up north I'm a bit nervous.

The dirt trail I drive turns very greasy when its wet. Not deep mud, just the slippery stuff that is even difficult to walk on. Last year my tires were coated in mud and the back of the PU kept trying to slide off the trail. This was at a slow speed, did not want to go fast enough to try and throw the mud from the BFG A/T tires.

This year I have new mud tires. how should I expect them to perform in this greasy mud? I don't want to have to drive fast and tear up the trail. Does more weight in the the truck bed help keep things driving straight and not sliding?

3 answers to this question

Nothing more greasy then a county road come Spring time in SD. Slick as snot and dries like cement.

If it were a field I say keep your speed up. On a road you'll need to crawl or you'll be in the ditch.

As far as tires deep lugs will help. Tires chains are even better.

The only thing that will keep tire tread "clean" is spinning the tires. Otherwise even deep lugged mud tires will cake up if they cannot clean out.

Go slow but don't be afraid to spin the tires if they pack up. I don't mean fly down the trail, but juice the throttle quick to give them a little spin.