• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's Baaack!

I took this out my back door this morning. The lighting isn't good, since it is overcast and still snowing.

To hold with tradition, we'll be baking - and eating - our first batch of Christmas cookies today. grin

Minor PP work done. Not the clearest of shots, but I was outside in gym shorts and a t-shirt with flip flops. gringrin

3009666063_41bb713bc2_o.jpg

I think it is safe to say we surpassed our 1-3 inces about 2.5 inches ago. I had to run into town, and boy, was it nasty! The plows haven't been out, so there is slush built up on the roads pretty bad. It is still snowing at a good clip. My way home was helped along by the four livestock semi's in front of me. grin

I received some goofy looks by my hubby. He was kind enough to refrain from throwing a snowball at me. grinsmile

Carolyn, you beat me to it. Nice shot, but I agree with Steve. You in the snow with your shorts, T-shirt and flip flops, would have made quite the photo. What time will the cookies be done? I'd like to come over for a couple. grin

This snow was not welcome. I'm supposed to head to New Ulm tomorrow morning at 6:30. It doesn't look good, and it's still snowing.

3010638246_0b8b26cba7_o.jpg

Mike, I was just in Rochester yesterday. Got home last night around 7:30 ish, and the snow was just starting to mix with the rain. The temp dropped nine degrees from Morgan to home. (About 45ish miles)

Cookies will be baking this afternoon. Can't decide on what kind to make first...peanut blossoms, Russian tea cakes, spritz, Belgian, Chocolate Mint Snowtops, mocha blossoms...the list is too long! gringrin

That last image sure does look like winter. mad

Start with the Chocolate Mint Snowtops, and go from there. Just be sure to give me a call 15 minutes before you take them out of the oven. That way, they'll still be warm when I get there. wink

I love the 1st snow. I think we're forecasted some this evening up here in Carlton. Great pics X and fishinchicks!

OHHHHH Carolyn, I love Russian Tea Cakes (or Mexican wedding cakes)!! Are you starting your holiday baking this early? I'm so jealous! I can't even seem to get an apple crisp in the oven for my husband's deer camp! frown

Yep, they're called Russian tea cakes, since that is where the basic recipe originated. Just as Lefse is Norwegian. Oooo. That sounds good too. Maybe I should start a batch of lefse as well.

We like to make foods that reflect our ancestry every holiday season. Most of the recipes are ones used when my hubby and I were little. Being of German/Dutch decent, it took awhile to figure out some of my Norwegian/Swedish hubby's favorites. They did teach me to make lefse! I drew the line at lutefisk!

Lisa, the first year that my hubby and I were married, we lived in a real small house. We hadn't turned the heat on yet when the first snow hit. To heat up the house, I baked a batch of Christmas cookies. That tradition has held up for 20 years now. The cookies I make today won't last the weekend, but that's just fine.

I LOVE lefse even more than tea cakes! I sure wish you lived closer Carolyn! What a great tradition though!

Jim made venison jerky last night for deer camp. It won't last the weekend either. I already ate some with breakfast.

I'll try to get a pic of our 1st snow too this weekend (if we get enough to shoot!)

Looks like I picked the perfect time to go back to work. It is supposed to be near 70 here in Baltimore and I have my camera and the whole afternoon.

I've got a lutefisk hook-up if anyone needs a fix. My folks live in the Lutefisk Capital of the USA (and probably the world since I think the stuff is banned in Norway) they peddle it to all the towns folk.

A batch of kringla would be nice to go with the lefsa. My German Grandma learned to make kringla and Lefsa for my Norwegian Grandpa. I wish she was still around to make it.

Lutefisk sucks. At least, this German/Irish/French/Czech say so! frownfrown

Boy Steve, don't hold back ok. Let us know how you really feel. laugh

You guys are making me hungry. It's a good thing those snow pics made me lose my appetite. Nothing personal chicks, it's the snow, not your pics!

You should just be glad you dont live in Spearfish SD. 45+" of white stuff. And near Aneta N.D. No power the whole weekend while the linemen were out in "BOATS" trying to repair downed lines after several inches of quick falling rain fell then started to freeeeeeeze and turn to snow.