Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
PerchJerker

End Of Year Blow Out Sale On Electronics

I've got End Of Year Blow-Out Pricing right now on several different models of Depthfinders, GPS Units, and Combination Sonar/GPS Units, from Lowrance, Eagle and Garmin. Savings of up to $180 on some of these units!

I also have Lowrance XOGs on sale, and a couple other specials going on too.

If you're thinking about adding to or upgrading your electronics, this is a great time to take advantage of some outstanding pricing!

All the details are at Pro Fishing Supply

Just a quick update - I've put some more items on sale, and put some deeper discounts on some of the sale items. Example - brand new Lowrance 520Cs and 522Cs with gps and transducer are now only $499! There's a lot of great deals to check out if you're thinking about adding to or upgrading your electronics.

Chaff

The 522 is a good unit for ice fishing. You can use the 522 as a gps with a map chip, as a sonar, or as both at the same time if you run it in split-screen mode. The 522 has an internal gps antenna so it's easily portable and convenient on the ice.

The 520 is the same as the 522, except it has an external gps antenna so it's not as good of an option for ice fishing. The 527 and 525 are dual frequency versions of the 522 and 520, but you won't use the open water transducer dual frequency transducer for ice fishing.

You'd need to add an accessory kit to convert it to ice fishing use. The cheaper kit comes with a mount and an ice transducer only, the more expensive kit comes with those things plus a soft-side carrying case and a battery and charger. I can get you those as well. CORRECTION EDIT -- THE CHEAPER KIT IS A PORTABLE MOUNT TRANSDUCER ONLY, IT IS NOT A TRANSDUCER AND A MOUNT.

The nice thing about buying the 522 and the ice kit is that you'd be set up in your boat and also for ice fishing, all you need to do is move the head unit from one mount to the other. Very simple.

The 522 sounds like the thing I need. What would the total price be with the ice conversion kit? Qoute me on both the cheaper version and the one with the soft sided case.

PerchJerker, I have the 522c and would like to use it during ice this year. How much are the ice kits? If you don't wanna post it here can you email me at s_e_hendricks@comcast.net

I just converted the 522 to a blue box for ice fishing....You can't go wrong with the 522 in my opinion. Great unit and at that price, you can't go wrong!

PJ, is the 522 basically the same as the Eagle 642? It sure looks like it. If so, me and bro might be looking a bit closer, as we like our 642 and we got that for about the same price a year os so ago on clearance.

Thanks,

The 522 and 642 are similar in that they are both sonar / gps combos. But the Lowrance ice transducer won't work on the Eagle. For the Eagle you'd need to rig up a way to use an Eagle transducer in your ice hole, as I don't think Eagle makes an ice transducer that hangs horizontally.

Thanks. So will the 522 slow down in the cold temps? I assume since it has the ice kit, etc. it would work fine for ice, but want to be sure. We don't use 642 for ice, but looking for something that could work for ice and on boat, without breaking the bank. My bro wants a bigger screen actually for summer, but I like the versatility if we could also use for ice. Thanks for info.

How are the internal GPS units for Lowrance.....I am looking into buying the 520 or 522 but not sure what the plus or negative to the internal gps.....I would assume that the external you can get a better signal? Thanks

Earlier generation internal antenna units had issues with losing their signal. The internal shielding was improved when the 522 was introduced and the 522 doesn't have issues with signal loss.

I think external antenna units used to have a definite edge in performance and reliability, but now I think it's a toss-up. The 522 is a very popular unit, it's accurate and convenient.

Just an fyi, I had to raise the price on the 520 a few days ago. It's still on sale but there's a better price on the 522 right now. And just an fyi, the sale is scheduled to end before the end of November.

Hey PerchJerker,

Thanks for all your help. I got my 522C last week. I've been to busy to set it up with the ice package yet but can't wait.

Is there a good way to try it out without being on the ice. It has been to warm down here in the cities for me to go out.

Glad you got your 522c Chaff, and thanks again for the order.

Regarding using it now, the gps of course can be used anywhere.

For the sonar, your options are limited if you're not out on the ice. You could run it off a kitchen countertop, but the signal moves slower through air than water, so your depth reading will be off and your adjustments to sensitivity, colorline, etc. won't mean anything. Maybe you could find a dock with open (and deep) water, or take it out in a boat on the river???