• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good time for making Quick Strike rigs.....

cjac

Hey all,

Now is a good time to be making your own Quick Strike (QS) rigs for the soon approaching hard water season and early ice pike bite.

It's pretty easy and inexpensive really.

#27 Sevenstrand wire

#4 trebles (Mustads for me)

Pack of swivels

Pack of beads

Several blades to make them legal, one blade per QS rig

Shrink tube

Thats all you really need to make your own. I finally got off the couch and made my own last year, and after $20 I still have plenty of materials to make more. After a little practice you can make them with the 2nd treble moveable to adjust to different sized baits.

QS rigs increase your success and hook up percentages, and are far better off on the pike. Definitely the way to go!

Great post Cjac. I bought them over the years for pike but it was basic. I would like to make some with these components. I also agree that pictures would be great!

I'm looking forward to tip-ups and the hard water season since my muskie season is nearing its end. I'm glad I live in Minnesota, I love ice fishing!

I'll see what I can find for pics, but it's pretty basic really. I can take a couple pics of mine once I get them out of storage. Another option is to buy one pre-made and replicate what it looks like.

#27 is still light enough that you can tie it and shrink wrap, you don't need a crimper and sleeves. I like to leave a little margin for adjusting the 2nd treble, so on a couple rigs I'll just loop the wire thru a couple times. That way I can adjust the space of that hook to match the size of the bait I'm using.

These nights of coming home and it being dark at 5:30 got me thinking of what I could be doing to get a jump on the season.

I've made them for years. Somewhere, I have the old Infisherman magazine article, written by Doug Stange, I believe - about Quick strikes. Amazingly simple and so much easier on the fish. I still like going smaller on my trebles - I think the hooksets are better.

Although - I don't tangle with those big bruisers down south here, like you boys up "Nort"....

A quickstrike rig and a yellow or orange dyed smelt has been the ticket to a lot of fish for me.